• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Policy: Tuition Reimbursement, Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oh4Sh0

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to read and provide any advice.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

I worked at company ABC for about three and a half years. One of the perks of working there was a Tuition Reimbursement policy. I took advantage of this.

The termination clause in this policy states that "..Voluntarily terminating their employment will require the employee to refund these expenses to company ABC."

Now, at company ABC I submitted a letter of resignation on a Friday. In it, I only stated something along the lines of .."I will continue to work for company ABC for 3 weeks and offer support for 6 months on the basis that this debt is forgotten, or we reach a further agreement." On Monday, my director (of IT) asked when my last day would be if we did not reach an agreement. And I told him I would not be coming in on Wednesday if we did not reach some sort of agreement. That evening (Monday), they elected to terminate my employment.

So, firstly, does this violate the "Voluntary" clause of the tuition reimbursement policy? While I did submit a letter indicating I was planning on leaving, and even gave them a day I was planning on leaving, they terminated me early (probably out of fear I'd do something negligant). So I was "terminated", and did not leave under my own will.

Secondly, in the entire policy, there are no terms of repayment, and nothing noting the repayment is immediately due. If I am liable for repaying this policy, they wanted me to do so at 4% interest over two years. I would argue that federal loans would offer a lower rate and lower payments, and that since no interest or term of repayment is specified in the policy, I should be able to repay this in a reasonable period of time (I'm fine with 2 years), but at 0% interest.

pattytx

You still resigned. The fact that the employer accepted your resignation early does not change that fact. Sounds like you were trying to negotiate yourself out of the agreement and they didn't buy it. I would have done the same. Nobody is that critical to an employer. You dealt your cards and you lost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">