• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Refusing To Refund A Payment They Took Before It Was Due

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BetoDamian

State: California

Here's my problem:

I was subscribed to a service and was charged before my invoice said that the payment was due. (Image A shows the email stating when my payment was due. Image B shows the email confirming that they charged me two days before the billing cycle ended.)

I contacted them about getting a refund immediately afterwards, and they declined it. I understand that they charged me in advance, it even says so in Image A, but they should be legally required to give me my refund if I don't want the service anymore, right?

In their terms of service, the statement that they have about refunds is: "Refunds are only given out if billing finds valid reason, we usually give refunds within the first 24 hours only if an issue can't be fixed, if you did not request one within that time frame we will not provide you with a refund." (Section 19 in PloxHost Terms of Service) As far as I can tell, this doesn't mean that I am UNABLE get a refund.

I'm not very familiar with situations like these, usually a company gives me a refund right away when this happens. I could be in the wrong here, and just plain out of luck for not reading the fine print correctly.

If anyone could assess this situation and let me know what I could do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Image A: (link removed identifying info)
Image B: (Link removed identifying information)

Just Blue

State: California

Here's my problem:

I was subscribed to a service and was charged before my invoice said that the payment was due. (Image A shows the email stating when my payment was due. Image B shows the email confirming that they charged me two days before the billing cycle ended.)

I contacted them about getting a refund immediately afterwards, and they declined it. I understand that they charged me in advance, it even says so in Image A, but they should be legally required to give me my refund if I don't want the service anymore, right?

In their terms of service, the statement that they have about refunds is: "Refunds are only given out if billing finds valid reason, we usually give refunds within the first 24 hours only if an issue can't be fixed, if you did not request one within that time frame we will not provide you with a refund." (Section 19 in PloxHost Terms of Service) As far as I can tell, this doesn't mean that I am UNABLE get a refund.

I'm not very familiar with situations like these, usually a company gives me a refund right away when this happens. I could be in the wrong here, and just plain out of luck for not reading the fine print correctly.

If anyone could assess this situation and let me know what I could do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Image A: (edited because of id'ing info)
Image B: " "
Your post has been reported because you have identifying information in the links.

adjusterjack

Re-read the TOS and see what you had to do if you wanted to cancel the service. If you didn't comply with that requirement then you get no refund.

If you want to cancel the service, do it right before the next opportunity arises for charging you.

BetoDamian

Your post has been reported because you have identifying information in the links.
Re-read the TOS and see what you had to do if you wanted to cancel the service. If you didn't comply with that requirement then you get no refund.

If you want to cancel the service, do it right before the next opportunity arises for charging you.
I have read their terms of service. They state: "We also reserve the right to grant or deny refunds for any reason and may decide to credit your account instead." Which I would understand if they rightfully charged my account. For instance, if I asked for a refund a day after my due date. However, the payment was NOT yet due. So it all comes down to me not actually wanting a technical "refund", but my money back that they took to use for my next billing cycle. That's the way I see it at least. I can't post a link for the terms of service because it's against the rules. if you look up "PloxHost terms of service", you can find it.

Just Blue

I have read their terms of service. They state: "We also reserve the right to grant or deny refunds for any reason and may decide to credit your account instead." Which I would understand if they rightfully charged my account. For instance, if I asked for a refund a day after my due date. However, the payment was NOT yet due. So it all comes down to me not actually wanting a technical "refund", but my money back that they took to use for my next billing cycle. That's the way I see it at least. I can't post a link for the terms of service because it's against the rules. if you look up "PloxHost terms of service", you can find it.
I left the in the TOS of the company site in my quote of you original post...I just edited out your link to the billing statements which had your name in other personal info. Thousands of people visit this site....some of them are not very nice and you don't want your info in their hands.

If you feel viewing that statement is important for us to advise you, redact the identifying portions and repost it. :)

PayrollHRGuy

SECTION 19 - PAYMENTS AND REFUNDS
All payments are done via PayPal. Refunds are only given out if billing finds valid reason, we usually give refunds within the first 24 hours only if an issue cant be fixed, if you did not request one within that time frame we will not provide you with a refund. Speak with our Billing team to claim the refund. Refunds are only applicable to Shared hosting, (Shared Minecraft). There are NO refunds for dedicated servers, VPS servers, KVM servers, Reseller plans, domain names or any other services. Over-payments or fund added to accounts are not refundable. You expressly agree that your use of, or inability to use, the service is at your sole risk -- refunds for not knowing how to use something is not acceptable. We also reserve the right to grant or deny refunds for any reason and may decide to credit your account instead. Doing a fraudulent chargeback on PayPal will result in termination of service. We are not responsible for the loss of your files. Legal action may be taken as well based on the amount you charge back.
I don't know what Section 19 you are reading but it doesn't seem to be the same Section 19 on their website.

adjusterjack

I have read their terms of service. They state: "We also reserve the right to grant or deny refunds for any reason and may decide to credit your account instead." Which I would understand if they rightfully charged my account. For instance, if I asked for a refund a day after my due date. However, the payment was NOT yet due. So it all comes down to me not actually wanting a technical "refund", but my money back that they took to use for my next billing cycle. That's the way I see it at least.
You're not getting a refund. If you didn't cancel the service then being charged two days early amounts to "no harm no foul."

adjusterjack

There are typically positive actions one must take to cancel or non-renew a service, especially when a credit card is on file. If those actions weren't taken then the charges continue. And waiting until 2 days before a billing cycle to decide is foolish, if that's what the OP was contemplating (which I don't believe is the case).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">