• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company trying to get money out of me for services I didn't ask for

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

typhon

A company that I had used previously, but in mid-September I told them to cancel the account at the end of the month. Then a few days ago I got a message from the company saying I owe $155 for their service for the months of November, December, and January. They are telling me because I cannot show them proof that I cancelled their service that they will continue with their plans to submit it to a collection agency, report it on my credit, and possible legal action.

I need legal advice on how to deal with this company, so I know what I can and cannot do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

You need to read the agreement that you entered with the company. There are probably some clauses about what is required in order to cancel the agreement. If it requires a notice in writing and you didn't do it, you very probably are liable for the extra payments.

Take a look at the agreement and let us know.

T

typhon

Agreement

The agreement gave by the company does not specify any method in which cancellation has to be given.

JETX

Okay, seems strange that a company would have a revolving monthly charge but not have any requirements for cancellation, but I take your word for it.

So, send them a letter detailing your cancelling the account (who, when, etc.) and asking that they review their records and remove the charged months from your bill. Send it Certified RRR. In it, give them a reasonable (5 business days?) time to respond to your letter. Also, you need to explain that any further action, such as reporting you to credit bureaus, etc. will force you to consider taking legal action against them.

Other than that, the ball is really in their court since they really haven't done anything yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">