• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Tuition Policy Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azwildcats7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

In 2009, my company put a cap on their tuition reimbursment policy.

However, I had entered my Master's program prior to the tuition policy change. I also selected this Master's program based on the fact that my company had agreed to pay for the program. Otherwise, I would have selected a different (less expensive) program.

Now I am left with paying about 15,000 out of my pocket.

Do I have any legal grounds here to get my company to pay for all of it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you have a legally binding and enforceable contract that guarantees your employer will pay the entire cost regardless of any changes that might be made to the policy in future?

If not, then no, you do not. Employers are not required to provide tuition reimbursement at all.

azwildcats7

I have an email from HR stating they will pay for my entire MBA program. Email with that verbiage should be as good as a binding contract.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You think so?

Take it to a local attorney and get his opinion on that.

swalsh411

Although I agree they are not legally required to, if this happened to me I would run it up the flag pole as far as I could because it really is very unfair. (though not illegal) What did HR say when you asked them?

Betty

I agree with cbg. I would take whatever you have to a local employment or contract attorney for review & their opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">