• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company wants to start a "Fire Team" to help with Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gimmick

I operate as a Technical Support Engineer for a UK based electronics manufacturer. I have recently been asked if I would like to volunteer to become a member of a "Fire Team" that the company is trying to set up. This team (consisting of 8 people) will be trained on the proper and full use of all Fire Extinguishing devices so that they can make a reasonable attempt to tackle any fires, while the building is being evacuated.

My concern (and hence this question) is how this may effect my Life Insurance that I have. Although I will be given proper training, I am no "Fireman" or professional. What if I get injured carrying out an attempt to put out a fire. Would volunteering for this affect my cover?

I am not even sure if this is a legal action that the company can take (from a Health and Satefy point of view), to form a "Fire Team" from internal staff. Is that not what the Fire Fighters are for? In tackling a fire yourself, are you not breaking the companies recommendations to "Leave the building, without tackling the fire"?

Any help and advice on this UK based question would be greatly appreciated. I find the prospect of being a member of the "Fire Team" interesting, but just have concerns over Life Cover.

Regards
Gimmick (Scotland)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">