• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

compensation deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

georgeb

My son helped in my business. He is leaving in a rental apt. away from home, near the college he is attending. We paid all school and maintenance expenses in lieu of other compensations. How can I and he deduct these compensations?

W

wowie

I am not an attorney and not a CPA.

This is a complex situation. . maybe. If the total amount paid to him/for him was under $10000.00 for the year then you can "gift" him the money. Ask your tax consultant for the gift tax application. I believe that this will only work if you are a sole-proprietor or a partner, not a corporation or an LLC.

If the sum was greater than $10000 or you are a corporation, then I do not think that you can use the gift. Someone has to earn the income. But chances are that your son, being a "poor college student" as we all were at one time, doesn't earn much money and therefore doesn't pay much tax. You could claim those payments as subcontract income to him which would give him the ability to write off expenses agains that income. . .gas, uniforms, office supplies.

Is he under 24 and a full-time student? If so, you might not even have to consider that income for him, that could just be your support to him as your dependant child.

Overall, I would consult a CPA or a tax lawyer. Most CPAs would include that type of question in preparing your monthly/quarterly taxes and your business or personal tax returns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">