• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compensation from city after damage from police chase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marshTN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

A week ago ther was a police chase in my residential neighborhood. The car being chased attempt to make a 90 degree turn a very high rate of speed and crashed into my bedroom. The damage is sunstantial and I already have my home owners insurance company preping for repairs. My questions is do I have any recourse against the city (the police department involved is governed by this city)? I can provide any detail necessary to answer this question.

marshTN

Sorry for the poor typing.

I should add that I was told by the supervising officer that I should hear from the city, but have not in the last week.

CdwJava

Any claim for compensation you make to the city will likely take far longer than one week. If I were you, I would make a claim to my homeowners' insurance, first. If your are out anything above and beyond your deductible, then the city may choose to compensate you. On the other hand, they may decide to say it is not their fault and encourage you to go after the suspect for compensation.

This is not likely to be resolved quickly. If the city accepts your claim and pays you for your loss, then consider yourself very lucky.

marshTN

My biggest disagreement with the situation is that the suspects droveover an interstate (which was blocked by police) through a 4 lane intersection (which was blocked by police) and were approaching another 4 lane intersection that was blocked by police. I just don't understand why they were not forced onto the interstate. It seams to me that would make for a significantly safer situation than forcing the case into a residential area.

The insurance company is being ok to deal with, but I'm under no impression that we will be made whole.

CdwJava

Those are tactical decisions likely made for a host of reasons - not the least of which was likely the consideration of traffic and the possibility of greater injury and higher speeds. Control is also a factor, intervening against a vehicle moving at high speeds on a freeway is difficult, dangerous,and not always lawful.

It is tragic, but you are not likely to be made whole by the city. You might get lucky and they will pay for your damages without admitting liability. On the other hand, paying off - and indirectly accepting liability - could be a bad precedent for them. At this point about all you and the insurer can do is submit your estimates and claims and see what happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">