• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complaint filed against son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in the state of Iowa. My 20 year old son received a phone call from a police detective today, the 13 of July. He told him there was a complaint filed against him by a 19 year old man for threatening him with a knife. My son did go to speak with this person, but he did not have a knife. The man filing the complaint has been threatening my son's girlfriend (also the complaintant's ex- girlfriend) with bodily harm, and my son went to tell him to leave her alone. She had contacted the police, but they told her there was nothing they could do without proof. He is supposed to talk to the detective tomorrow (July 14), and I need to know if we should have an attorney present at the questioning. As far as I know, no charges have been filed. Also, can my son decline to be questioned, or to even go to the police station? This man also came at my son with a baseball bat. Can he file a complaint, too? I urgently need an answer!
Thank you!



I have learned through trial and error to NEVER talk to an officer, detective, etc. withot an attorney present.Your son should at least consult an attorney for advice, prior to any meeting with the detecive.Anything you say while being questioned can and will be used against you.If he retains a lawyer, let the lawyer then set up any questioning.


Absolutely get a lawyer. Your son's over 20 & an assault with a deadly weapon conviction will screw up his life for YEARS to come. Your son should also file assault charges agaisnt the guy for the baseball bat incident.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential