• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complicated Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Firstly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

When I married, I changed my last name to his. The relationship ended but we never divorced. I eventually changed my name from his but did not go back to my maiden name. Both my middle and last name was changed. Now I will be filing the divorce papers myself, but want to go back to my birth name. Am I able to do this in the divorce papers or will I have to divorce and then do a name change separately?

An example:
Birth name: Jane Mary Doe
Married name: Jane Mary Davis
Name changed to: Jane Janet Smith
Divorcing and wanting to go back to Jane Mary Doe

adjusterjack

You can do it in the divorce decree.

Consult an attorney to make sure it's worded properly in accordance with your state's requirements.

It's probably not very complicated but if you want it bad enough, be smart and pay somebody to get it right.

Remember, you'll probably have to show your decree to government agencies as authority for the change and you'll spend a lot more money getting it fixed if they don't accept it than you will spend getting it done right.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can do it in the divorce decree.

Consult an attorney to make sure it's worded properly in accordance with your state's requirements.
There's nothing magical about the wording in California. The OP could simply look at a preprinted form issued by the court for guidance.

ETA:
Remember, you'll probably have to show your decree to government agencies as authority for the change and you'll spend a lot more money getting it fixed if they don't accept it than you will spend getting it done right.
I'm not sure what that even means. If the decrees orders a the name restoration then it's good enough.

Last edited:

LdiJ

There's nothing magical about the wording in California. The OP could simply look at a preprinted form issued by the court for guidance.

ETA:

I'm not sure what that even means. If the decrees orders a the name restoration then it's good enough.
I think its possible, and maybe even likely that she will need to show the name change progression as part of the divorce decree in order to insure that she had no problems getting anything accomplished that requires ID. Therefore I do think its likely that the wording could be quite important.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think its possible, and maybe even likely that she will need to show the name change progression as part of the divorce decree in order to insure that she had no problems getting anything accomplished that requires ID. Therefore I do think its likely that the wording could be quite important.
AGAIN, the decree will, basically state that the OP's former name of "whatever whatever" is hereby restored. That's all...not rocket science.

Firstly

I haven't seen the ex since 2004 when we lived in Georgia. I thought for sure he'd have moved forward with the divorce stuff by now. Money has always prohibited me. Now I have found his address (he is in Washington) and I am back in California (the state where we married) and also on Medi-Cal. If I do it myself, I can hopefully have the fees waived which is what is making this possible for me. I still have my birth certificate and social security card with my birth name on them and that is what I would be going back to.

Firstly

Thank you! "Restoring" my name seems to make things easier than I was anticipating. I appreciate the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">