• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complications with Vasectomy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justus

What is the name of your state? OR

My husband went in Friday to a Urologist that was referred to us by his primary care doctor to receive a vasectomy. On Friday when he got there he asked the doctor if he could stay for a bit afterwards to make sure there were no complications and the doctor said no, not to worry about it.

Well, they began with the procedure and the doctor had trouble getting my husband's left vein clamped, but after using approximately 6 clamps was able to get it clamped off (the other side only took 2 clamps... which is normal). The doctor proceeded with the vasectomy and finished up and sent us on our way home.

By the time we got home and my husband got into bed his testicles were seriously the size of about 2 grapefruits. Our post procedure instructions stated that he should lay flat for 24 hours save for going to the bathroom and that he should keep ice packs on his scrotum for 4 hours. After about 5 hours I called the doctor and asked about the pain because my husband was just writhing in pain from the left side (same side as the clamp issue). I explained to the doctor that my husband had major swelling and that he had a lot of pain on that left side (when we went in for the pre-op appointment he said advil or tylenol would take care of any pain my husband had). The doctor said not to worry about the swelling, that there could be a bleed but not to worry about it but that he would call in some vicodin to our pharmacy for comfort.

The next morning we got up and I looked at my husbands scrotum and the swelling had not decreased at all. After 24 hours he was supposed to be able to get up and shower and move around a little. He couldn't even sit up because of the immense pain. So I called the oncall doctor about 29-30 hours after his surgery and explained he'd only been up 3 times to use the restroom (mind you he had to pee in the shower because he was so swollen he couldn't find his penis to go and just had to let it go wherever) and told him how big my husband had gotten and that he was still in pain (especially on that left side). The doctor said, "A grapefruit and a half is pretty big." To which I replied, "Yes, I know. Honestly I didn't know that area could get that big." The doctor told me to just keep ice packs on him (which we had done almost the whole entire time we'd been home) and that he would probably take a couple of weeks to heal (for a procedure that according to the doc he should have been back at work here on Tuesday). Within an hour my husband and I talked about it and decided that his swelling was not normal and there was something wrong so I took him to the ER. Within an hour of arriving at the ER he was taken into surgery where they removed a pint of blood clots from his scrotum.

He will have been in the hospital at least two days before he gets out and is looking at at least a week out of work (instead of the Friday of the procedure and the Monday after.... which we were told would be more than enough time for him to be back on his feet). We are very frustrated because now, not only is he out of work but his mother is having to fly here from the East Coast to help us out, our kids have been farmed out indefinitely and we're looking at major increase in our medical bills (we do have insurance but have a 1K deductible for my husband) as well as the possibility that his work will not pay him for the whole time he is out.

Should we speak with a lawyer or is this just something we should cough up as a fluke and write off and deal with the added medical bills and possible unpaid time ourselves?

Sorry it's so long, but thanks for any information you can give me.

panzertanker

justus said:
What is the name of your state? OR

My husband went in Friday to a Urologist that was referred to us by his primary care doctor to receive a vasectomy. On Friday when he got there he asked the doctor if he could stay for a bit afterwards to make sure there were no complications and the doctor said no, not to worry about it.

Well, they began with the procedure and the doctor had trouble getting my husband's left vein clamped, but after using approximately 6 clamps was able to get it clamped off (the other side only took 2 clamps... which is normal). The doctor proceeded with the vasectomy and finished up and sent us on our way home.

By the time we got home and my husband got into bed his testicles were seriously the size of about 2 grapefruits. Our post procedure instructions stated that he should lay flat for 24 hours save for going to the bathroom and that he should keep ice packs on his scrotum for 4 hours. After about 5 hours I called the doctor and asked about the pain because my husband was just writhing in pain from the left side (same side as the clamp issue). I explained to the doctor that my husband had major swelling and that he had a lot of pain on that left side (when we went in for the pre-op appointment he said advil or tylenol would take care of any pain my husband had). The doctor said not to worry about the swelling, that there could be a bleed but not to worry about it but that he would call in some vicodin to our pharmacy for comfort.

The next morning we got up and I looked at my husbands scrotum and the swelling had not decreased at all. After 24 hours he was supposed to be able to get up and shower and move around a little. He couldn't even sit up because of the immense pain. So I called the oncall doctor about 29-30 hours after his surgery and explained he'd only been up 3 times to use the restroom (mind you he had to pee in the shower because he was so swollen he couldn't find his penis to go and just had to let it go wherever) and told him how big my husband had gotten and that he was still in pain (especially on that left side). The doctor said, "A grapefruit and a half is pretty big." To which I replied, "Yes, I know. Honestly I didn't know that area could get that big." The doctor told me to just keep ice packs on him (which we had done almost the whole entire time we'd been home) and that he would probably take a couple of weeks to heal (for a procedure that according to the doc he should have been back at work here on Tuesday). Within an hour my husband and I talked about it and decided that his swelling was not normal and there was something wrong so I took him to the ER. Within an hour of arriving at the ER he was taken into surgery where they removed a pint of blood clots from his scrotum.

He will have been in the hospital at least two days before he gets out and is looking at at least a week out of work (instead of the Friday of the procedure and the Monday after.... which we were told would be more than enough time for him to be back on his feet). We are very frustrated because now, not only is he out of work but his mother is having to fly here from the East Coast to help us out, our kids have been farmed out indefinitely and we're looking at major increase in our medical bills (we do have insurance but have a 1K deductible for my husband) as well as the possibility that his work will not pay him for the whole time he is out.

Should we speak with a lawyer or is this just something we should cough up as a fluke and write off and deal with the added medical bills and possible unpaid time ourselves?

Sorry it's so long, but thanks for any information you can give me.
Unless you can prove that there was malicious intent, gross deviation from standard of care or a woeful neglect of duty...you will have to chalk this one up.

Bleeding post vasectomy is not uncommon, and I would venture to say it is listed as one of the hazards on the consent form your husband had to sign before the procedure.

6 clips is not unusual either, all people are individuals, therefore a "standard" procedure requiring 2 clips may require 6 on me (or your husband).

Feel free to speak to a med/mal attorney though. Unfortunately the out of pocket expenses you are incurring are a direct result of an "elective" surgery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">