• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Comprehensive insurance premium

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

polestar

What is the name of your state? NJ

My car was vandalized several years ago, and I filed a comprehensive claim. Since then, my premiums have gone up. Is it legal for my company to increase my premiums based on comprehensive claims? If I switch insurance companies, does the new company have the right to ask if I have filed a comprehensive claim?

tammy8

Is the comp claim the reason for the increase? Did you ask your agent if this was the case? Most of the time, comp claims do not raise your rates. However insurance usually does increase several times a yr depending on the lose ratio of the company and state you reside in.

I am guessing you are simply dealing with one of 2 things---several comp claims which CAN make you a higher risk and pay higher premiums or just basic rate increases.

polestar

No, I haven't asked my agent if this is the reason for the increase, but I will do this (I have only filed one comp claim). What surprised me most is that when I got two otherwise identical online estimates from another company, (which are approximate, since I remained anonymous) a single comp claim increased the premium from $400 to $590. I am wondering if I can refuse to release information about previous comp claims.

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">