• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Con artist stole earnings from my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DrivingDisDazey

What is the name of your state? California

While working doing deliveries I was contacted by phone by someone fraudulently representing themselves as a worker for the company I do deliveries for. They told me I needed to verify that I was the registered driver of my vehicle and proceeded to walk me through the process of “verification” which included sharing my email, username and password. Once they had that information without my knowing they went straight into my account with the company, registered a new direct deposit account for themselves and took all of my earnings for the week out of my account.

I contacted the company about what happened and after an “investigation” this is why they told me:

“I've reviewed your account, and these deposits instantly cleared to the card on file at the time of the transaction, and we do not have a way to reverse the deposits. Regretfully, we will be unable to reimburse these funds. I'm very sorry.”

So my questions are: is this it? Do I have any recourse or do I just have to accept my earnings are gone? How is this different from my paycheck getting stolen? Does it make sense to file a police report?

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California

While working doing deliveries I was contacted by phone by someone fraudulently representing themselves as a worker for the company I do deliveries for. They told me I needed to verify that I was the registered driver of my vehicle and proceeded to walk me through the process of “verification” which included sharing my email, username and password. Once they had that information without my knowing they went straight into my account with the company, registered a new direct deposit account for themselves and took all of my earnings for the week out of my account.

I contacted the company about what happened and after an “investigation” this is why they told me:

“I've reviewed your account, and these deposits instantly cleared to the card on file at the time of the transaction, and we do not have a way to reverse the deposits. Regretfully, we will be unable to reimburse these funds. I'm very sorry.”

So my questions are: is this it? Do I have any recourse or do I just have to accept my earnings are gone? How is this different from my paycheck getting stolen? Does it make sense to file a police report?

Thanks
Of course you should file a police report, because you were scammed, but unfortunately, the company you work for is not responsible for you allowing yourself to be scammed out of your earnings. For future reference, no "verification" system needs your email, user name or password...not unless its you yourself that are initiating the inquiry because you have forgotten a user name or password.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer paid you appropriately. They are not responsible for what happens to the funds once they are in your account.

quincy

I hope you have changed all of your account information and added fraud alerts/identity theft alerts to your accounts with the credit reporting agencies and your bank(s).

Reporting to the police the theft of your money and your identity seems the smart thing to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">