• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concerned about Identity Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popeye23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

As part of qualifying for residency in a Residental Hotel, Tenant's are required
to submit evidence of income via Social Securty and also to submit a Bank statement.
This is yearly and typically goes smoothly.

This time period I am out of state, and so submited these docmuents via
USPS Prority Mail with tracking.
This information was received and I have USPS.com proof of receipt, yet the Hotel
claims they did not receive the information, and no attempt to address this or contact
the weekend Manager (the Priority Mail was received on a Saturday) has been made.

I raised this incident via email so as to "document" the issue.
These two documents from Social Security and from my bank obviously contain very sensitive
information. I am obviously concerned here about "Identity theft".

The Hotel not addressing this issue raises a BIG red flag for me.

Is there anything I can do legally to force management's attention to this matter?
would a simple letter from an attorney, or possibly contacting my
local Tenanet's Union do the trick? If through an attorney, what would that cost me
approximately?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

As part of qualifying for residency in a Residental Hotel, Tenant's are required
to submit evidence of income via Social Securty and also to submit a Bank statement.
This is yearly and typically goes smoothly.

This time period I am out of state, and so submited these docmuents via
USPS Prority Mail with tracking.
This information was received and I have USPS.com proof of receipt, yet the Hotel
claims they did not receive the information, and no attempt to address this or contact
the weekend Manager (the Priority Mail was received on a Saturday) has been made.

I raised this incident via email so as to "document" the issue.
These two documents from Social Security and from my bank obviously contain very sensitive
information. I am obviously concerned here about "Identity theft".

The Hotel not addressing this issue raises a BIG red flag for me.

Is there anything I can do legally to force management's attention to this matter?
would a simple letter from an attorney, or possibly contacting my
local Tenanet's Union do the trick? If through an attorney, what would that cost me
approximately?

Well, you're sure seeing a lot of red flags this morning, aren't you?

Best to speak with an attorney.

CdwJava

So, the people that entered your hotel room, did they do that after you apparently failed to qualify or pay for this month's rent?

Understand that in a month-to-month deal they do NOT have to renew your tenancy.

popeye23

So, the people that entered your hotel room, did they do that after you apparently failed to qualify or pay for this month's rent?

Understand that in a month-to-month deal they do NOT have to renew your tenancy.
Please be advised that the people who entered my hotel room did so after the issue of qualifying documents arose.
After no acknowledgement of information sent via Priority Mail, I emailed those necessary
documents and receipt of those documents was acknowledged.
That is why the issue of people caught in my room on security camera,
and the sensitive papers not acknowledged as being received by postal mail--- are separate issues

CdwJava

Please be advised that the people who entered my hotel room did so after the issue of qualifying documents arose.
But, had you paid for the month's rent? If you had not paid for the rent, then the room was no longer yours. And even if it was, they still have the right to make entry under certain conditions, and if you were not home, then you would not know if notice was posted.

So, again I ask, was anything stolen??

After no acknowledgement of information sent via Priority Mail, I emailed those necessary
documents and receipt of those documents was acknowledged.
Acknowledged by who? Received by who?

That is why the issue of people caught in my room on security camera,
and the sensitive papers not acknowledged as being received by postal mail--- are separate issues
Yes, they might well be. But, no law requires anyone to receive or acknowledge receipt of your mail or to act on it if they did. And, entry to the room by the landlord is perfectly lawful under a great many circumstances. Since you have not indicated anything more than entry, it sounds like you have no crime here. So, if you have a financial loss, you can sue them in civil court. If no loss, then what do you expect to do?

popeye23

But, had you paid for the month's rent? If you had not paid for the rent, then the room was no longer yours. And even if it was, they still have the right to make entry under certain conditions, and if you were not home, then you would not know if notice was posted.

So, again I ask, was anything stolen??

Acknowledged by who? Received by who?

Yes, the rent has been paid, (checking account proof) and rent for Feb has been sent in, Prority Mail --requiring "signature".
Receipt of the sensitive papers emailed ,was received by one of the office workers whom I know.

Yes, they might well be. But, no law requires anyone to receive or acknowledge receipt of your mail or to act on it if they did. And, entry to the room by the landlord is perfectly lawful under a great many circumstances. Since you have not indicated anything more than entry, it sounds like you have no crime here. So, if you have a financial loss, you can sue them in civil court. If no loss, then what do you expect to do?
Yes, the rent has been paid, (checking account proof) and rent for Feb has been sent in, Prority Mail --requiring "signature".
Receipt of the sensitive papers emailed ,was received by one of the office workers whom I know.

sandyclaus

What do you mean "checking account proof"? Are you saying that you have proof of a specific amount of money having been withdrawn from your checking account that coincides with the dollar amount of your monthly rent? Because that ISN'T proof that you paid your rent. That's only proof that you had enough money to pay your rent, and that it was withdrawn from your checking account. There's NO proof that the money changed hands from yours to the LL/hotel management that receives your rent. Unless you have a receipt, you have NO proof of having paid the rent.

CdwJava

And, once again, ENTRY is probably not going to be a crime, so this is much ado about nothing.

Popeye, if you have proof of some crime - theft, etc., - then call the cops. Otherwise, all this will be is foot-stomping and ranting to the manager of the hotel who has no legal requirement to renew your tenancy for another month unless he has accepted payment, yet.

popeye23

What do you mean "checking account proof"? Are you saying that you have proof of a specific amount of money having been withdrawn from your checking account that coincides with the dollar amount of your monthly rent? Because that ISN'T proof that you paid your rent. That's only proof that you had enough money to pay your rent, and that it was withdrawn from your checking account. There's NO proof that the money, changed hands from yours to the LL/hotel management that receives your rent. Unless you have a receipt, you have NO proof of having paid the rent.
It would seem to me that a cancelled check made out to the hotel corporation---that coupled with the hotel bank account number and name on the
reverse, would seem to be "proof". However, I am NOT worried about, and that is NOT the issue.The issue is what became of my sensitive
papers mailed in with Priority Mail they claim not to have received?, and how to best attempt to find out?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It would seem to me that a cancelled check made out to the hotel corporation---that coupled with the hotel bank account number and name on the
reverse, would seem to be "proof". However, I am NOT worried about, and that is NOT the issue.The issue is what became of my sensitive
papers mailed in with Priority Mail they claim not to have received?, and how to best attempt to find out?
If you reside there, why did you have to mail the information?

Your information seems to have never gotten to them. Talk to the Post Office.

CdwJava

And we are still back to: So what?

If you have suffered a financial loss, file a claim and proceed to small claims. If someone attempts to open an account or take action in your name, file a police report. As it is, it's concerning as to who might have the information, but, other than filing an alert with the credit reporting agencies, what do you propose to do?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
papers mailed in with Priority Mail they claim not to have received?
, and how to best attempt to find out?
It may have fallen behind a machine at a PO. Things happen.

My father mailed a priority package to his sister. Took two years for her to get it. :cool:

CdwJava

It may have fallen behind a machine at a PO. Things happen.

My father mailed a priority package to his sister. Took two years for her to get it. :cool:
He can always track the process online ... though, some of us seem to fail to recall or retain the shipping receipt.

Return receipt requested is the way to send TRULY important stuff! But, I'd also think it better to have a place with a lease - it might be preferable to a hotel room.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
He can always track the process online ... though, some of us seem to fail to recall or retain the shipping receipt.

Return receipt requested is the way to send TRULY important stuff! But, I'd also think it better to have a place with a lease - it might be preferable to a hotel room.
UPS Overnight is the only way to send TRULY important stuff. I wouldn't trust the USPS with my important stuff; they lose too many packages/letters as it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">