• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concerned about mom's life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concerned7

hi,

my mom passed away a couple of years ago, but i've been wondering about her life insurance policy for awhile now. it was an unexpected death and at the time, money was the last thing on mine or my sibling's minds. my dad and mom were having problems prior to her passing. my mom had been to a lawyer about filing for divorce just a couple of weeks before her death.

since then, my dad has remarried and basically left me to be on my own (my siblings are older than me). i don't mind that part, my dad and i never really got a long anyways. within the past year, i have been wondering if what my dad did was legal. i've heard that most children have to sign off on what the other parent gets, but i wasn't sure if this was true.. because we never signed off on anything or were given any options. i do know that my dad was the beneficiary on my mom's life insurance policy because we were all too young at the time when she first signed up for it, and she just never thought she would need to change it.

i really could care less about the money. my dad is a greedy man and money has always been his number one priority. i just can't help but think that maybe there was something else that could have been done. i know most moms would want their children to have a part in their life insurance policy, especially if she planned on divorcing her husband. i would never do anything to my dad about this, but i have always wondered if we could have or if things could have been different. my mom and i were very close. it doesn't bother me that i didn't receive anything from her death, what bothers me is knowing that my dad received all of it when i know deep down she would not have wanted that.

if anyone could give me some feedback or your thoughts, i'd appreciate it.
thanks.

ShyCat

Life insurance benefits are paid to the specified beneficiary. Period. End of story. Let it go, live your life to the fullest and make your Mom proud.

concerned7

That's what I thought, I've just heard different things because she didn't have a will. And my dad can be very sneaky, I wanted to make sure there was nothing I wasn't aware of then. Thanks for responding.

FlyingRon

Unless there is no stated beneficiary or the beneficiary is the estate, the will has no bearing on the situation.

Dandy Don

If you have knowledge of any other assets that your mother may have had, such as a pension, or home ownership, then you need to consult a probate attorney to see if probate is needed. Husband will be entitled to a certain portion of her estate as a surviving spouse, but the kids will be eligible for anything over and above a certain amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">