• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condemned/for sale home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mechai44

What is the name of your state? PA

Today, I viewed from the outside only, a row home for sale. In asking the neighbors about the property, I was told that it had been condemned, was previously occupied by a couple with 3 children and the police were regular visitors there due to domestic complaints. It is in some disrepair and according to the neighbors, the home was never maintained by the previous owners. My questions are these: First, where can I find a listing of exactly what deems a home condemned? I have tried searching on line and cannot seem to find a concrete guideline aside from the eminent domain listings. Second, if a house is condemned are the sellers required to offer that information in the listing? Third, it is in an historical district. I have heard stories of city's selling condemned homes for as low as $1 if the owners sign a contract to restore it original historical esthetic - does anyone know about that? The home is on the market for about $100,000 even with all that is clearly wrong with it. Thanks so much for your time and guidance. I am new to home searching and while I don't think I'm prepared to purchase a house with an already enormous obligation behind it, I am curious to know more as I go forward.What is the name of your state?

FarmerJ

Contact the city or county to learn what the housing inspections /building inspections dept records are. Its public info and must be given to any who ask for it.

justalayman

First, where can I find a listing of exactly what deems a home condemned?
There is no real list as such. A building can be condemned for any number of things. What it means is that as it sets, it is not habitable. It could mean it needs to be demolished, it could mean the attic is full of pigeon poop (a hazardous material in may places) and for health reasons cannot be inhabited as is. . A community gov't can also condemn homes for other reasons in which they essentially do it to take title to the property (your emminent domain situation). Properties sometimes then are sold to folks that will improve the place or they may be razed and the acreage sold or several other options available to them. They do this to get very low taxed property removed and replaced with more valuable properties so as to increase the tax base for their community.

Second, if a house is condemned are the sellers required to offer that information in the listing?
I would think so although in at least one state a house can be sold as is and actually mean it. Most states have some disclosure laws that would require condemnation to be disclosed.

Third, it is in an historical district. I have heard stories of city's selling condemned homes for as low as $1 if the owners sign a contract to restore it original historical esthetic - does anyone know about that?
That would be very specific to the community involved. You would need to seek answers at that level of gov't. You also did not actually say that the gov't is selling the home. Is it or is it private owner still?

The home is on the market for about $100,000 even with all that is clearly wrong with it
. In many many places, this would be a steal for a lot alone. It is so very dependant upon the market as to the value of the house. Research is required to determine the actual value of the property you are looking at.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">