• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condition of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BADAZBIKER

What is the name of your state? Arizona

When I accepted my current job, there were certain requirements that were spelled out at this meeting. I had been in the business for about 15 years and a former employee of mine happened to stumble across were I was working. Asked me to have dinner with himself, (would be my immediate boss) and the VP for the company. At dinner I told them what my salary requirements were. They agreed to my asking salary. I then explained that I would require a company vehicle as I only had a Harley as my main transportation and it would not be feasible to use in this job. They agreed to this amd said they had an H1 Hummer I would use. I told them that it could be an old Toyota pick up as long as they were furnishing it and it had A/C. Last item was I did not cut my hair (longer in ponytail) and I wore jeans and polo shirfs. No dress slacks and no uniforms. It too was agreed upon. 9 months later and with fuel as it is, most all hummers (But not all) are parked and I am force to use my Harley. This also violates company policy as in the had book I agreed to follow. In the hadbook it says you can ride to and from work but not during the course of business. They offered to issue an employee loan so as I can fix a vehicle that is in my driveway and hasn't been driven im almost a year. I never offered this vehicle but my boss saw it one night when he had givenm me a ride home. I can't see throwing good money to bad and especially for a truck that gets 7-8 miles a gallon. Not to mention that woud create another car payment for my wife and I as well as having to carry insurance on a 3rd vehicle. Do I have any recourse since my conditions of employment were clearly spelled out beforer accepting their offer? And or alternatives to just quitting and walking away from it all. Since it's in Phoenix, the heat is another major factor as well as safety. As i told them. I don't belong on my harley while trying to do my job as you neeed 110% attention on road while riding.What is the name of your state?

BADAZBIKER

Not in writing**************.

No, I don't have anything in writing. It was all discussed over dinner and agreed upon. However, we did not put anything down on paper,.

justalayman

then, as you will learn, any job conditions are subjet to change at the employers discretion unless they are in writing (such as a contract).

So, if you cannot find an agreeable solution, you are free to find employment that suits your needs elsewhere.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It has to be more than just in writing. it has to be contractual.

An offer letter puts the conditions of employment in writing. But an offer letter is not a contract, and the conditions of employment, as spelled out in an offer letter, can be changed.

And that's the way you want it. If the conditions of employment, as defined in an offer letter, could never be changed, you would never get a raise or an increase in benefits. That sword cuts both ways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">