• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo association/roofing company wants me to sign a waiver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

One very important point to consider: The truth is the finish result will be much better as far as appearance, roof integrity and water-tightness if skylights are replaced during during a major re-roof, rather than piecemeal afterwards and the OP should consider agreeing to replacing them.
I don’t disagree, well, completely anyway but that doesn’t mean one should waive their rights if they choose to not change the skylights.

It sounds like skylights are “suggested” as part of a roofing job as a matter of standard practice. Depending on the condition of the frame and or the style of roofing, there may be absolutely no reason to change them. If the frame is in good condition and the “window” bad, as long as the window portion is replaceable, there isn’t a benefit to changing them now.

In this situation it appears the management is simply trying to strong arm the op into buying new skylights. Since we have no real facts about the condition of them, the type of construct, or anything else regarding the skylights, I can’t agree with simply telling the op to replace them. Maybe the management needs to actually inspect the skylights and explain why it may be beneficial to replace them now rather than simply telling op to sign the waiver or expect a call from their lawyer.

The other big concern is; the waiver includes not only leaks but in case the roofer damages the skylight. How would a roofer “accidentally” damage a skylight? If they are so careless that they are out of control, then they need to be held liable for their actions. As to leaks; if the skylight itself leaks, not the roofers problem but if they don’t leak now, there is no reason they should leak after the roofer is done. If it isn’t the skylight leaking, then roofer needs to warranty his work.

PayrollHRGuy

Data point.

I had my house reroofed a couple of years ago. In big bold print, the roofing company did not take responsibility for leaks around skylights that were not replaced during the job.

Didn't matter to me because I have no skylights.

justalayman

Data point.

I had my house reroofed a couple of years ago. In big bold print, the roofing company did not take responsibility for leaks around skylights that were not replaced during the job.

Didn't matter to me because I have no skylights.
I would have issue with such a disclaimer. There is no reason for a skylight in good condition to leak short of poor workmanship. If the roofer doesn’t know how to properly flash a protrusion, maybe it’s the roofer that should be replaced

Now, there are reasons to seriously consider replacement at the time of roofing. It is less expensive to replace them while the roof is torn apart than if replacing just the skylight. If the current skylight is nearing the end of its life, consider changing them. If they are cheap skylights that are likely degraded and will die soon, replace them.

I have no problem with recommending replacement when you are roofing but disclaiming damage or leaks simply because they aren’t replaced is asking a customer to get a free pass on crappy work because they won’t or can’t do,the work right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">