• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Conversion question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CA girl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My apartment is being converted to a condo. I have lived in this complex for 6 years total but have changed apartments 3 times. The last time was because I am adopting a little girl and needed another bedroom. I received a letter stating that anyone living in their apartment for a year or more and earning an income below the median in the area will receive an amount equal to 3 months rent to use either for moving expenses or to help purchase your unit.

My question is this: Although I have lived in this complex for 6 years, I will have lived in my present unit for just under a year. Will I be eligable for the 3 months rent?

Thanks for your advice.

CA girl

This is a legal question. I'd like to know the answer before the time that I have to move because my landlord doesn't always do things in a legal manner.

Doesn't anyone know the answer to this question? Please help.

CA girl

Who's Liable?

CA girl said:

My apartment is being converted to a condo. I have lived in this complex for 6 years total but have changed apartments 3 times. The last time was because I am adopting a little girl and needed another bedroom. I received a letter stating that anyone living in their apartment for a year or more and earning an income below the median in the area will receive an amount equal to 3 months rent to use either for moving expenses or to help purchase your unit.

My question is this: Although I have lived in this complex for 6 years, I will have lived in my present unit for just under a year. Will I be eligable for the 3 months rent?

Thanks for your advice.

What part of your own answer don't you understand? I've highlighted it in bold so you can re-read it...

you've answered your own question...

HomeGuru

CA girl said:

Thanks for your advice.

**A: is the entire complex being converted to condo? Please explain. In my opinion, you qualify as a displaced renter and should be given the benefits.

ENASNI

Ditto

HomeGuru said:
**A: is the entire complex being converted to condo? Please explain. In my opinion, you qualify as a displaced renter and should be given the benefits.

Unless it is lost in some other codes or something or other, you still have the same rights as a displaces renter.

Oh.. ahem... I mean I concur HG...

Time limits... that is beyond me... weird.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/repairs.htm#condoniniumconversions

CA girl

Yes, thank you. The entire apt. complex is being converted to condos. They do not have approval yet because the owner was very evasive with the planning committee about improvements, inspections, etc. so they voted for a continuence. I don't know if this buys me more time because we have already been served our 6 month notice in July.

Thanks again for your help.
CA girl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">