• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trebir817

Hello -
I live in NH. I am $2400 behind on my condo fees, and have a court hearing in 2 weeks. I don't have the money, and am very worried about foreclosure - what can I do?

adjusterjack

Then there's nothing you can do.

If you owe it you have no defense and the HOA will get a judgment.

In NH a judgment is good for 20 years.

A judgment will allow the HOA to garnish your wages and levy your bank account.

A judgment could be recorded and become a lien on your home.

A judgment will trash your credit.

The longer it takes you to pay the judgment the bigger the debt will get with interest, costs, and lawyer fees.

Poor credit may impact your ability to get jobs and insurance.

Nothing good comes of losing in court.

I suggest you find the money and pay it off before the hearing in exchange for a dismissal in writing.

Trebir817

Then there's nothing you can do.

If you owe it you have no defense and the HOA will get a judgment.

In NH a judgment is good for 20 years.

A judgment will allow the HOA to garnish your wages and levy your bank account.

A judgment could be recorded and become a lien on your home.

A judgment will trash your credit.

The longer it takes you to pay the judgment the bigger the debt will get with interest, costs, and lawyer fees.

Poor credit may impact your ability to get jobs and insurance.

Nothing good comes of losing in court.

I suggest you find the money and pay it off before the hearing in exchange for a dismissal in writing.

Thank you for the reply. It's a grim picture, but I prefer to see it in the most unvarnished terms. I appreciate it.

festival

Contact the board immediately and work out a payment plan.

Offer to pay all of the actual assessments.

Ask to have the future late fees eliminated during the time it takes to pay it back. In other words no new late fees on your outstanding balance as long as you pay on time during the payback period.

Ask to have previous late fees reduced or eliminated. In general they can reduce or take away the late fees, but not the actual assessments.

Their legal fees are also negotiable, but they are less likely to forgive what they have actually paid to their lawyer so far. You can ask.

Going to court will only increase the legal fees that you will have to pay to reimburse the association for their legal costs.

Tell them that going to court will only make it harder for you to pay it off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">