• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo for Mom and Dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmaior

What is the name of your state? NJ
I purchased a condo for my Mom and Dad together with my Brother. All Cash (No Mortgage)
What is the best way to manage the property once parents are moved in ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? NJ
I purchased a condo for my Mom and Dad together with my Brother. All Cash (No Mortgage)
What is the best way to manage the property once parents are moved in ?
Yours is not a legal question.
What exactly do you mean by "manage"?

pmaior

So, what legal entity do you recommend. LLC , Joint Tenants ?
I have a bunch of expenses from Rehab, How would I handle those, I know that is a tax question probably.
Right now title is held in a land trust with my brother and I as 50/50 beneficiaries.
Should I charge rent ?

Zigner

I think that you ought to seek local legal advice - there are a bunch of moving parts and you don't seem to have any grasp of any of them. That's NOT meant as an insult - it's just an observation.

pmaior

If I wanted to Pay a lawyer, I would not be on a site seeking free advice.
I'll move on to a different site that knows how to answer questions.

Zigner

If I wanted to Pay a lawyer, I would not be on a site seeking free advice.
I'll move on to a different site that knows how to answer questions.
The problem is that you don't even know what questions to ask, nor how to ask them.

Best of luck to you on whatever site you land on.

xylene

If you have this kind of cash on hand, then you can afford professional advice, which you and your brother desperately need.

xylene

No to mention the consideration if an outright cash purchase IS the best way to proceed...

FarmerJ

SO did you get the unit insured as if you were a absentee landlord ? ( That is what you are now) Treat it like a rental property even if you do not get market rate rent from your parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">