• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Insurance Coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frenchy

My parents own a retirement condo in Florida. While they were away for the summer, the upstairs folks (also away) had their hot water heater replaced. During the repair and testing someone left the water running in the shower, which sent water through the walls into my folks place. A month later when someone found the water running in the upstairs condo, they investigated in my parent's place and found severe mold spores on all the interior walls. They had to have all the interior wall removed and their whole condo apartment was evacuated of everything. Now it has been almost a month since they riped the walls out and no work is being done. I asked them why and they told me that their insurance policy does not cover the cost of all the damages. I asked her why doesn't the insurance company go after the money from the upstairs folks insurance company of the condo associating for the damages? She told me that all three parties have the same insurance company. Do my parents have any legal recourse or are they at the mercy of the insurance company and contractor? Please advise. My folks are in there 70's and stressing out on this whole thing. Thanks.

HomeGuru

frenchy said:
My parents own a retirement condo in Florida. While they were away for the summer, the upstairs folks (also away) had their hot water heater replaced. During the repair and testing someone left the water running in the shower, which sent water through the walls into my folks place. A month later when someone found the water running in the upstairs condo, they investigated in my parent's place and found severe mold spores on all the interior walls. They had to have all the interior wall removed and their whole condo apartment was evacuated of everything. Now it has been almost a month since they riped the walls out and no work is being done. I asked them why and they told me that their insurance policy does not cover the cost of all the damages. I asked her why doesn't the insurance company go after the money from the upstairs folks insurance company of the condo associating for the damages? She told me that all three parties have the same insurance company. Do my parents have any legal recourse or are they at the mercy of the insurance company and contractor? Please advise. My folks are in there 70's and stressing out on this whole thing. Thanks.

**A: tell them to hire an attorney and sue their insurance co.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">