• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo misconduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiana

Hi there,
I have owned this building for 20 years. I have not lived here for 10 of those years. It's been sitting vacant and I have never been late on my dues. Never once in trouble. Perfect tenant.
Last summer I noticed mold coming from the air-conditioning that the condo is responsible for. It leaked. I hired someone to come fix it and they had to put a couch in the hallway for two hours. I was given a 5000 fine for this. While the 5rd-floor furniture was in the hallway for almost 3 weeks due to a mold problem with the air conditioners. I hired a lawyer to send them a sect 19 then after I spent a few thousand on him, he said that by suing them, they might add on lawyers' fees and such. So I was stuck. I have decided to sell this condo because I'm so scared they are starting to use me as a refill for condos bank. I planned on keeping this for my kids down the road, but I'm being pushed out and picked on my association. Do I have any rights? Suggestions? Any pro bono lawyers who want to take this condo association on? Sue for the sale of my condo?

quincy

You are unlikely to find an attorney who is willing to help you on a pro bono basis.

We do not provide attorney referrals on this forum so you will have to call attorneys licensed to practice in your area to see if any are interested.

STEPHAN

When I needed help against a condo association, I called about 20 lawyers. 19 were unwilling to go against the HOA, as they get a lot of business from the association managers.

The last one I called told me that he hates associations. He gave me advice that was outside our dispute (showed me how they violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act) and that gave me room for a settlement.

So keep calling around.

zddoodah

I have owned this building for 20 years. I have not lived here for 10 of those years. It's been sitting vacant and I have never been late on my dues. Never once in trouble. Perfect tenant.
I'm confused. If you "own[] [the] building," how is it that you are a tenant (perfect or otherwise)? Or are you saying that you rent the condo to a tenant whom you subjectively regard as "perfect"? Also, if this is really a condo, then you don't actually own the building.

I hired a lawyer to send them a sect 19
Huh?

Do I have any rights?
Of course you do. Did you really suppose that the answer might be that no, you have no legal rights?

Suggestions? Any pro bono lawyers who want to take this condo association on? Sue for the sale of my condo?
I don't know what "sue for the sale of my condo" might mean. You don't need to sue in order to sell the place. Also, there's no such thing as a "pro bono lawyer." Some lawyers do pro bono work, and some lawyers work for organizations that provide legal services, but lawyers need to make money just like everyone else. In any event, this isn't a lawyer referral service, and it's not really clear what you want to sue for. You mentioned a $5k fine, but we have no knowledge whether such a fine is allowed by the CC&Rs to which you agreed when you bought the condo.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm confused. If you "own[] [the] building," how is it that you are a tenant (perfect or otherwise)? Or are you saying that you rent the condo to a tenant whom you subjectively regard as "perfect"? Also, if this is really a condo, then you don't actually own the building.
It's fairly obvious what the OP meant when taken in context with the full post. The OP owns her condo in a building that is controlled by a condo association. The OP is not using the word "tenant" correctly, but it's obvious what's going on here. The OP should have included the word "in" (as in "I have owned in this building for 20 years") and should have used the word "resident" instead of "tenant".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">