• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rpunsa99

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am currently selling my condo unit. I have already accepted an offer from a prospective buyer and the Unit is already under contract. The prospective buyers do not intend to occupy the unit once possession is transferred. The Unit will instead be occupied by their 22 year old daughter and her boyfriend while they attend school at a local university.

When the condo association learned of this arrangement, they stated that they would need to seek legal advice as to whether or not the prospective buyers' daughter and boyfriend will be considered "tenants" even though, the prospective buyers have no intention of "renting" the unit to their daughter. Essentially, the prospective buyers will be paying for everything while the daughter finishes school. (The bylaws do not prohibit "rental" of units.) Furthermore, the condo association says they can pass on the attorney's fees incurred onto me.

My question is, can the condo association make me responsible for any attorney's fees incurred while they try to make a determination whether or not the daughter will be considered a "tenant"?

The possible rental of the unit will occur AFTER I transfer possession. I'm not the one looking to rent the Unit so I don't care whether or not the daughter will be considered a tenant. Can the association stick me with the attorney's fees?

Also, can the Buyer's back out from the contract because of all this. It was the buyer's decision to make this arrangement with their daughter. I feel the buyers should be responsible for any attorney's fees incurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">