• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of Interest - Buying a Porsche

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richard713

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was buying a vehicle from a close friends Mom. The Original owner of the vehicle was his Father. But his father passed away and now his mother Is the owner of the 1982 Porsche 911 930 Turbo. The owner of the vehicle does not speak English. So her son advised that her neighbor, friend of 35 years, and hospice nurse of her late husband, Carmelita. Translate for us.

Now Carmelita is the conflict of interest

The verbal agreement that we had between Me and the owner was for $ 50,000 Dollars, Carmelita lied to the owner that I offered $30,000, when in fact I offered $50,000.

She lied to the owner that I offered $30k, So she can buy the vehicle for $40,000. She then told me that the owner didn’t accept my offer. and she lied to the owner that I wasn’t interested in the vehicle any more.

She eventually bought the car for herself, made a bill of sale and did an application of title to register the car to herself and is expecting to receive a Texas Title this week.

After I found out that Carmelita Bought the vehicle, I decided to ask my friend why his mom the owner didn’t sell me the vehicle and he told me “Carmelita offered $40k.” To my outrage I told him, “I offered $50k.” and he said “Carmelita told us you offered $30k, if we knew you offered $50k we would’ve sold it to you.”

Me and owner of the vehicle want to sue the lady for lying to us, buying the car from her without knowing my real offer and lying to both of us. Do I have any legal grounds to make a law suit? Me and the Owner are both involved and want to make our original deal happen. What can we do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think anyone's got any claim. How does the OP or the seller intend to prove any of what's been said? The star witness for their claim is the translator...and I suspect the translator's going to have a different story.

Just Blue

I was buying a vehicle from a close friends Mom. The Original owner of the vehicle was his Father. But his father passed away and now his mother Is the owner of the 1982 Porsche 911 930 Turbo. The owner of the vehicle does not speak English. So her son advised that her neighbor, friend of 35 years, and hospice nurse of her late husband, Carmelita. Translate for us.

The verbal agreement that we had between Me and the owner was for $ 50,000 Dollars, Carmelita lied to the owner that I offered $30,000, when in fact I offered $50,000.

She lied to the owner that I offered $30k, So she can buy the vehicle for $40,000. She then told me that the owner didn’t accept my offer. and she lied to the owner that I wasn’t interested in the vehicle any more.

She eventually bought the car for herself, made a bill of sale and did an application of title to register the car to herself and is expecting to receive a Texas Title this week.

After I found out that Carmelita Bought the vehicle, I decided to ask my friend why his mom the owner didn’t sell me the vehicle and he told me “Carmelita offered $40k.” To my outrage I told him, “I offered $50k.” and he said “Carmelita told us you offered $30k, if we knew you offered $50k we would’ve sold it to you.”

Me and owner of the vehicle want to sue the lady for lying to us, buying the car from her without knowing my real offer and lying to both of us. Do I have any legal grounds to make a law suit? Me and the Owner are both involved and want to make our original deal happen. What can we do?
Why didn't the son translate?

Zigner

The verbal agreement that we had between Me and the owner was for $ 50,000 Dollars
, Carmelita lied to the owner that I offered $30,000, when in fact I offered $50,000.

Can you explain why you (twice) said that you had a deal with the lady, when, according to the rest of your story, no such deal existed?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Me and the Owner are both involved and want to make our original deal happen. What can we do?
The original owner can sue Carmelita for fraud and seek to rescind the sale. If she succeeds she'd have to give back the $40k (less any extra damages awarded for the fraud), and then once she has the car she can turn around and sell it to you. The problem is that the cost of litigating it and the time it will take will take a significant chunk of the $10,000 profit she hopes to make off this.

Zigner

The problem is that the cost of litigating it and the time it will take will take a significant chunk of the $10,000 profit she hopes to make off this.
The real problem is that there is no evidence of what the OP claims to have occurred.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The real problem is that there is no evidence of what the OP claims to have occurred.
Sure there is. There is the testimony of the OP and the friend's mother as to what occurred. Remember, witness testimony is the oldest form of evidence ever used and still is good as evidence today, even with all the problems and shortcomings of witness testimony. As to whether the court would believe them over the testimony of Carmelita is another matter, and no way to know how that turns out without hearing the testimony of all 3 of them in court.

Zigner

Sure there is. There is the testimony of the OP and the friend's mother as to what occurred. Remember, witness testimony is the oldest form of evidence ever used and still is good as evidence today, even with all the problems and shortcomings of witness testimony. As to whether the court would believe them over the testimony of Carmelita is another matter, and no way to know how that turns out without hearing the testimony of all 3 of them in court.
Before I even looked at your reply I knew you were going to say that ;)

Yes, I should have said that the only evidence here is the testimony of somebody who lost out on a car and a woman who is being manipulated.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Just so long as Carmelita isn't the court translator too. :p

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">