• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict Of Interest (TX)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VICK

My wife currently works at a local radio station as an assistant to the
sales staff. She does enhances proposals on the computer before the
representatives "pitch" them to their clients. Her new manager, not owner,
has started to ask her to do similar things for another company that this
manager is running that is not, in any way, associated with this radio
station. In summary, this added workload is preventing her from finishing
the items that my wife needs to finish for the radio station sales reps. In
my eyes, this constitutes as a conflict of interest and an abuse of powers,
as my wife does not want to refuse the added load, as she fears being fired.
What, if any, recourse is there?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VICK:
My wife currently works at a local radio station as an assistant to the
sales staff. She does enhances proposals on the computer before the
representatives "pitch" them to their clients. Her new manager, not owner,
has started to ask her to do similar things for another company that this
manager is running that is not, in any way, associated with this radio
station. In summary, this added workload is preventing her from finishing
the items that my wife needs to finish for the radio station sales reps. In
my eyes, this constitutes as a conflict of interest and an abuse of powers,
as my wife does not want to refuse the added load, as she fears being fired.
What, if any, recourse is there?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Under your explanation, and notwithstanding something else missing from your story and the equation, I tend to agree. However, she hasn't reported this matter to her "higher-ups" because??

If she is afraid that her job would be on the line, there is nothing she can, or will, do because of her fears. However, should she be fired as a result, then, and only then, are other options available.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

V

VICK

Yes, she has talked to the "higher-ups." Their response is "she is the boss, down there." Also, this is occuring to other administrative people in the office, not just my wife. All are frustrated and all leery of saying "no" to this person. All in all, the chain of command is not working, nor willing to do anything.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VICK:
Yes, she has talked to the "higher-ups." Their response is "she is the boss, down there." Also, this is occuring to other administrative people in the office, not just my wife. All are frustrated and all leery of saying "no" to this person. All in all, the chain of command is not working, nor willing to do anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I guess I'm still missing something. You said, ". . . she has talked to the "higher-ups" and "Their response is "she is the boss, down there." However, you said in your first posting that she has a "manager."
If she is "the boss down their", yet she has a "manager", what am I missing?

Of course, she can still make a complaint with the Fair Housing and Employment Administration and make a Worker's Compensation Claim if she is feeling stress from the situation and not getting anywhere with her supervisors.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

V

VICK

I apologize for being vague.
The radio station is part of a corp. based in Dallas that owns numerous stations across the state. This manager runs two of the stations based in our area (just north of Houston). The next "higher-up" is the Vice President of Operations who is located in Dallas. I was just wondering who my wife could go to, to file a grievance, or get advice from, without having to get fired first. Obviously, as long as this manager is producing, the "higher-ups" do not care what else she does.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

I apologize for being vague.
The radio station is part of a corp. based in Dallas that owns numerous stations across the state. This manager runs two of the stations based in our area (just north of Houston). The next "higher-up" is the Vice President of Operations who is located in Dallas. I was just wondering who my wife could go to, to file a grievance, or get advice from, without having to get fired first. Obviously, as long as this manager is producing, the "higher-ups" do not care what else she does.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My further response:

Thank you for clarifying. Obviously, if she has exhausted her remedies "within" the company, then she might consider my previous suggestions, barring of course any contractual remedies she might still have; e.g., if there is an employment contract requirement, or even a grievance procedure in the company policy manual, she must first exhaust those remedies.

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">