• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steve Kelly

California

My wife worked for a company that was incorporated. The partners had a falling out, dissolved the company, and subsequently formed two new companies in competition with each other.

My wife remained in the employ of one of the former partners, and was asked by both of them to close the books on the old company. Some checks arrived that were actually receivables to the new company of her employers former partner (his new company has the same name as the old company but without the "inc."), however, the checks were made out to the old corporation. She deposited the checks in the old corporations account and made out new checks to the former partners new company, in order to make sure he received his money. He objected to being reimbursed in this way. When she informed her employer of the objection, and asked what she should do, he instructed her to return all future erronious checks to the senders. He told her that it was his former partners responsibility to make sure that his customers were informed of his new mailing address and company name, not hers.

The former partner now claims that this has caused cash flow problems and is unable to make payroll. He is threatening to sue my wife for damages. Her employer has suddenly developed a bad memory and claims he never told her to handle the checks in that way. The attorney who represents my wifes employer and his company claims that it would be a conflict of interest for him to represent my wife if she is not in agreement with her boss (his client).

Is my wife liable? Is it truly a conflict of interest for the company attorny to represent her, even though she was carrying out the will of the company? Does the former partner have any real grounds for litigation?

Last edited:

S

Steve Kelly

Was that too confusing

I noticed that there were 14 viewings of my question, but no comments. I was just wondering if I made my question too complicated or confusing. (sorry, I don't know legalize) :).

Steve

FarmerJ

steve many many people view others postings even if they cannot contribute any answer. Many are curious and view these boards and surprisingly enough some folks find answers to simular questions they have , or just view them because maybe they might learn something . Be patient . ( In the time being if your wife finds more payments that come in perhaps she might just walk them over to her boss desk and leave them telling him these are the other firms and let him deal with it until he gets enough spine to stand up for her and until you get a better answer . )

S

Steve Kelly

Thanks FJ. She is going to leave the company ( I insisted!) because I don't think this guy is capable of having spine. But I'm still worried that the other guy is going to come after her (us). He's claiming she's ruined his business and I'm just worried that it could potentially cost us our home, savings, etc. He may just be blowing hot air, but I don't like to take anything for granted, so I'm trying to find out where we stand. I am new to this forum, so I appreciate the pointers :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">