• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IowaCowboy

Massachusetts

I was fired due to allegations (untrue) by another union member.

I was rereading the allegations and noticed my union attorney’s name appeared on his complaint as a witness to his signature.

Wasn’t he supposed to be representing me?

Mass_Shyster

That’s an interesting issue.

I suspect he did it to ensure that the person actually signed the complaint. I don’t think the act constitutes something adverse to your interest, but it might be a problem regarding the attorney witness rule. You can always call The Attorney Consumer Assistance Program and ask

PayrollHRGuy

The act of witnessing a signature doesn't endorse what the signed statement says it simply states that the person that signed it is the person.

IowaCowboy

To cut to the chase, what should he have done to protect my interests?

The other guy ended up getting my job!

IowaCowboy

The other member claimed I was not at work, on numerous occasions. We work offsite.

He ended up getting my job, which is closer to his house. He has a documented history of making false allegations about the police.

PayrollHRGuy

And how did you show that you were at work? And how did he show you weren't?

Was the work you were supposed to complete that day(s) done.

Forget all the rest. It matters not a bit.

Have you filed for unemployment?

IowaCowboy

He alleged I had someone else doing my job, which basically entails just being in a public place, monitoring people. This, while he should have been at his own job, across town.

The guy is a complete jackass, who claimed he was beaten by police, in spite of six witnesses to the contrary.

My employer was hot to fire me because my picture was included on the (oh, the irony) union organization materials.

The real issue is that my union lawyer aided in getting me fired. I signed the union charter! I paid them money! He literally said nothing during my hearing!

Is that even legal?

If he said he wasn’t going to represent me, I’d have hired my own lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">