• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflicting information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is your question?

You can add it by using the reply to thread feature or the edit post feature.

Thanks.

What is your question?

You can add it by using the reply to thread feature or the edit post feature.

Thanks.
I work in a new restaurant to my area. Procedures are blurry. I've been told by management on a few occasions things i know to be false, including ABC laws and health code issues. I have managed myself and have the certificates to prove my knowledge in those areas. Recently I was openly reprimanded for walking away from a guest with their military ID. I returned it of course and certainly did not copy it. I was told that was illegal and i was spoken to by management in a way that, well honestly pissed me off and embarrassed me. I can't find any info on the topic. I'd like to have my facts straight before i speak up.

Just Blue

I work in a new restaurant to my area. Procedures are blurry. I've been told by management on a few occasions things i know to be false, including ABC laws and health code issues. I have managed myself and have the certificates to prove my knowledge in those areas. Recently I was openly reprimanded for walking away from a guest with their military ID. I returned it of course and certainly did not copy it. I was told that was illegal and i was spoken to by management in a way that, well honestly pissed me off and embarrassed me. I can't find any info on the topic. I'd like to have my facts straight before i speak up.
Why were you walking away with the i.d.?

adjusterjack

i was spoken to by management in a way that, well honestly pissed me off and embarrassed me. I can't find any info on the topic. I'd like to have my facts straight before i speak up.
You are apparently young enough and naïve enough not to know how work works.

Employers don't want employees to "speak up" they want employees to do what they are told quickly and quietly.

Speak up and display your annoyance and you'll be out looking for another job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is rarely wise to correct your boss when he doesn't want correction. In other words, even if the boss is absolutely wrong about the legality of walking away with the card, it can do you no good to point it out to him.

Just Blue

The guest handed it to me with their credit card. People often do that when their card reads 'see ID' instead of a signature. I didn't even know i had it until i was at the computer running the the credit card.
Sooo...When your boss questioned you about this you said what?

quincy

The guest handed it to me with their credit card. People often do that when their card reads 'see ID' instead of a signature. I didn't even know i had it until i was at the computer running the the credit card.
I don't see anywhere that it is illegal to walk away with someone's ID if you are going to return it - but you are not allowed to "seize" someone's ID if you are not a police officer.

Here is a link to the laws: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenses/retail-resources/preventing-underage-sales

adjusterjack

Well, now you know. Pay attention to what people are handing you and hand the ID right back before you walk away.

I would rather not defend my need to know. I understand what is being said. I have a right to educate myself and my boss if it means we are on the same page. Like i said, misinformation has occurred regarding ABC and health department standards. Those 2 things are huge and could mean all of our jobs.
Sooo...When your boss questioned you about this you said what?
She didn't question me. She snapped at me like a child. It was unprofessional. Long and short....I was commiting a crime. It has not been spoke of again. I need to know if i was in the wrong.

I have read it is illegal to copy the card or information. But is it illegal to hold it in your hand 20 feet from it's owner while verifying identity?

quincy

I would rather not defend my need to know. I understand what is being said. I have a right to educate myself and my boss if it means we are on the same page. Like i said, misinformation has occurred regarding ABC and health department standards. Those 2 things are huge and could mean all of our jobs.

She didn't question me. She snapped at me like a child. It was unprofessional. Long and short....I was commiting a crime. It has not been spoke of again. I need to know if i was in the wrong.

I have read it is illegal to copy the card or information. But is it illegal to hold it in your hand 20 feet from it's owner while verifying identity?
Illegal? Not that I could see from a brief look at the law. You just cannot hang onto the ID. It must be returned.

The link information mentioned military ID along with other acceptable forms of ID.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">