• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflicting information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would rather not defend my need to know. I understand what is being said. I have a right to educate myself and my boss if it means we are on the same page. Like i said, misinformation has occurred regarding ABC and health department standards. Those 2 things are huge and could mean all of our jobs.

She didn't question me. She snapped at me like a child. It was unprofessional. Long and short....I was commiting a crime. It has not been spoke of again. I need to know if i was in the wrong.

I have read it is illegal to copy the card or information. But is it illegal to hold it in your hand 20 feet from it's owner while verifying identity?
You have no inherent legal right to educate your boss in this situation.

PayrollHRGuy

The long and short of it is if your boss tells you what to do and it isn't illegal or immoral do it if it is within your power.

If it illegal or immoral, quit.

quincy

I think Ryan just wants to understand the law.

It perhaps would be better if it were Ryan's employer here asking since he was the one who insisted that it was illegal.

But, yes, Ryan is not in a position to tell his employer anything so whatever his employer tells him is the right way to operate is the way he should operate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if it is not illegal to walk away with the ID, it is legal for your employer to reprimand you for it, and it is legal for the boss to fire you if you attempt to tell him he's wrong. Even if he is.

LdiJ

I would rather not defend my need to know. I understand what is being said. I have a right to educate myself and my boss if it means we are on the same page. Like i said, misinformation has occurred regarding ABC and health department standards. Those 2 things are huge and could mean all of our jobs.

She didn't question me. She snapped at me like a child. It was unprofessional. Long and short....I was commiting a crime. It has not been spoke of again. I need to know if i was in the wrong.

I have read it is illegal to copy the card or information. But is it illegal to hold it in your hand 20 feet from it's owner while verifying identity?
You have the right to educate yourself. It is highly disrespectful and quite childish to assume that you have the right to "educate" your boss. I can pretty much tell you that almost every boss in the world would snap at an employee who presumed to "educate" them.

You were in the wrong because your boss says that you were in the wrong. Period. If you want to keep your job, then do what you are told and do not walk off with customer's ID's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">