• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused about adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? south dakota

My ex husband signed away his parental rights to our son when he was 2 years old and let my new husband adopt him. My ex husband hadnt seen him since he was 6 months old. On December 3rd 2004 he turned 14 he was killed in a car accident December 5th 2004. My ex found out and came to the funeral. The attorneys for the driver of the vehichle and the insurance company explained we have to go to probate court (which i understand) and they said the will send letters to my husband and my self and the my sons 5 siblings. They have also notified me on Friday Febuary 4th that South Dakota is big on natural parents and they will send a letter to my ex and notifiy him of the settlement and probate hearing. They tell me that he has rights also to the settlement money. Is this CORRECT. And if he does can i get 14 years of back child support and half of funeral expenses. I have paperwork he signed terminating parental rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential