• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused about new company policy change regarding wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I work for a ver large company known worldwide doing tech support for their internet department. I just recently had the opportunity to interview for a promotion to 2nd level support on October 22, 1999. On November 3rd, my manger called me into his office and we had a VERBAL offer and agreement to accept the position and the agreed salary (which was an increase of 35% over my previous salary). I was told I would not start this new position until November 20th, 1999.
On November 29th, 1999, my manager calls me into his office and gives me some new information regarding a new company policy and my salary. He informed me that they are unable to give me the 35% pay increase for my new position, instead, I am limited to only 12% pay increase because of new company policy. My manager really didn't give me any reasonable reasons as to why this new policy came into effect. At that time, of course I was just too shocked of the news, so I just let it be at that.
A few days follow, I attempted to get more compensating answers as to why this all happened but to no avail, none was given. My manager just told me that I won't get the full 35% pay increase until 6 months later because of the new policy. I asked if I was going to be paid any rollback wages for the 6 months and he said most likely "NO".
Also, to further add to my lost wages, my yearly merit review is coming up it will not reflect my 35% pay increase, but only my 12% pay increase.
So, to sum up, my employer ripped me off on my wages that were promised to me at the time of the interview and the time of acceptance of the new position. I was wondering is there anything legal that I can do to get my justice?

I am working and living in the state of Texas just for anyone who is experienced in this area, please help me. Thanks in advance.


Ex HR Guy

I'm not from Texas, but you seem to be whinning. Companies create new policies all the time. Most are smart enough to live with the old deals they make. Why yours isn't I can't say, but I can say that if you think of suing your employer it will soon be your ex-employer and you'll be marked as a former problem employee. If you want to quit, and get another job, you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential