• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused and mad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sierra23

What is the name of your state?
New Mexcio
I received a writ of Garnishment, it's for a debt I wasnt involved in, it's a vehicle loan that my onformation was used as a co-signer, now Im in the verge of getting garnished by this creditor, what can I do to stop this or delay untill ivestigations have been made, on who used my info, I had sent a letter to the original collection agency that bought this debt, letting them know I wasn't the one who got this vehicle, and now it's in court.
please any advise on what I can do, any thing at all.?

bigun

You need to file an ID theft complaint. Here's a step by step process from the FTC.

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

Did you miss a court a date?
You really need to fill out the ID fraud affivdate and file the police report and take that to a lawyer or, at least get it filed with the court?

S

sierra23

I didn't miss the court date I just recieved the paper work today,
I believe I have 20 days to respond to my District Court

Ladynred

In order for them to have a Writ of Garnishment, there usually has to be a judgment already against you. I believe that's the court date Bigun was referring to - the one for the original lawsuit.

H

hans4874

Response

Was this cosign information for "fact finding" or did you in fact cosign the note. If the party you cosigned for defaulted, you are liable but if you did not you need to take some action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">