• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused and stressed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Newbreed5128

What is the name of your state? Washington State

This post will be long because it is a long story. My mom passed away unexpectedly on June 10, 2005. She was 56. There was an autopsy done. We are waiting still for results and certificate of death. That is a side issue. My question is my mom has 2 life insurances. One naming my brother and I as beneficiaries. The other my dad. My parents were still married at time of death. My dad however is 21 years older with severe Alzheimers in a geri/psych facility. Currently covered partially by Medicaid/Medicare the rest his pension checks.. My parents do not own anything except household goods of little value. No savings, no real estate (my mom lived in a house owned by my husband and I) My mother has left $40,000.00 in creditor debt, this is a community property state so I assume dad is still liable for her debts. The nursing home states that the state will take the insurance money for his care, which is fine but what about the bills?

Dandy Don

How much will the insurance policies be paying out?

If you and your brother are named as beneficiaries, then that money will be paid directly to you and him and I don't see anyway that Medicaid can get their hands on that. Don't give them any more information about any aspect of the insurance money. Is it possible that you and your brother would be willing to use some or most of the insurance money to pay off the debts?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Newbreed5128

Stress continues

Washington State

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the one lief insurance that is in my brother and my name is ours. The second insurance policy has my father as beneficiary.

As a side issue my mother has household goods to sell to repay creditors by neither parent has any assests, they had a bankruptcy in 1997 and have been living off my dad's pensions exclusively since. They do not own a home or any saving at all. There are three bank accounts that my dads pensions are deposited to. Unfortunately no one has access to them to pay for his portion of the nursing home bill and these people are driving me nuts. They are becoming threatening and have even called APS but there is nothing we can do. One of the social workers even suggested I bring in deposit slips for my dad to sign so I can get to the money for them, that just sounds illegal. They also leave nasty messages stating that I will become liable for his healthcare expenses. Can they do that?? My mother had power of attorney for dad, I had power of attornery for her. He is 76 with severe Alzheimers, she was 56 when she died. They planned everything assuming he would go first. Apparently there is no such thing as emergency conservatorship in Washington State according to the attorney I am using and guardianship is such a pain ,apparently ,that two separate attorneys are reluctant to help me with that.
And of course 45 days later I still don't have a death certificate so I can send in the insurance claims yet anyway. I am going to need a psychiatrist when this is all over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">