• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused -Homestead Exemption & come early to watch video?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadsam

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My 341 meeting is early Monday morning. I received a letter (this evening) from my lawyer giving me instructions to bring payment for recording homestead exemption at local courthouse. However, I do not own a home. Is this for exempting my personal property? Also my information I received from Trustee telling when to appear for 341 included instructions to come 1/2 hour early to Trustee office to watch a video on bankruptcy but my lawyer with his detailed instructions and map did not tell me to go to Trustee office, in fact it told me NOT to go to office but hearing room.

Also, I appreciate all the information I have been getting from this board!

JETX

sadsam said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My 341 meeting is early Monday morning. I received a letter (this evening) from my lawyer giving me instructions to bring payment for recording homestead exemption at local courthouse. However, I do not own a home. Is this for exempting my personal property? Also my information I received from Trustee telling when to appear for 341 included instructions to come 1/2 hour early to Trustee office to watch a video on bankruptcy but my lawyer with his detailed instructions and map did not tell me to go to Trustee office, in fact it told me NOT to go to office but hearing room.

Also, I appreciate all the information I have been getting from this board!
And what was the response when you asked your attorney these questions?? After all, he will certainly know more about the reasons than us.

sadsam

Confused

Since I did not get the letter until after 6pm this evening and my lawyer's office closed at 5pm and does not open until 9am Monday, I did not have a chance to ask. My 341 meeting is at 9am Monday but was told by Trustee letter to come at 8:30am. I am anxious about both the homestead exemption recording and getting conflicting directions from lawyer and Trustee regarding showing up for 341 and was wondering if anyone had similar experience.
Thank you for your time.

Ladynred

You COULD try the website for your BK district, they should have information on the site about where to go.

Eastern District site: http://www.vaeb.uscourts.gov/
Western District site: http://www.vawb.uscourts.gov/courtweb/enter1.html

You have to file for the homestead exemption because VA allows you to use $5000 of an UNUSED homestead exemption for any other personal property.

In addition, Virginia provides certain enumerated poor debtor's exemption. Some of these exemptions include:

* the family Bible,
* unused homestead, $5,000;
If your lawyer's office has an answering service or machine, leave him a message, otherwise call their office first thing Monday morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">