• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PSM200

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hopefully someone can help me? I divorced over a year ago, signed notarized, you name it.
I remarried last year and currently living in Costa Rica, with my new wife and ten month old daughter. My ex-wife just located me through facebook, saying that when the papers got back to her she never signed....hmmm, well it turns out she conviently held on to the papers, i dont knwo how she did it but, i swear a got a decree, but now she is saying that she got it made up to screw me. My problem now is i'm applying for birth abroad, for my daughter, and there asking for the divorce decree, i don't have one now. Will my daughter be denied her birth abroad, because i'm wondering if my marriage to my new wife is good? I though of flying back and divorcing her, but will that make my current marriage valid for purposes of my wife and daughter here? HELP!!!!!!:mad:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hopefully someone can help me? I divorced over a year ago, signed notarized, you name it.
I remarried last year and currently living in Costa Rica, with my new wife and ten month old daughter. My ex-wife just located me through facebook, saying that when the papers got back to her she never signed....hmmm, well it turns out she conviently held on to the papers, i dont knwo how she did it but, i swear a got a decree, but now she is saying that she got it made up to screw me. My problem now is i'm applying for birth abroad, for my daughter, and there asking for the divorce decree, i don't have one now. Will my daughter be denied her birth abroad, because i'm wondering if my marriage to my new wife is good? I though of flying back and divorcing her, but will that make my current marriage valid for purposes of my wife and daughter here? HELP!!!!!!:mad:
You're going to need to be more clear.

What was the paperwork you signed? Was it simply a filing for divorce or was it the final decree signed by the judge?

If you simply signed the filing, then you're not divorced and you are guilty of bigamy. If you have a final decree signed by the judge, then it probably doesn't matter if she signed it or not.

First, find out what you signed and what the court has decreed (if anything). Then find yourself an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">