• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confusing Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Scenario:

A search warrant is executed at a home in county A by a city in county B. Money and drugs are found. Homeowner is arrested and taken to the city police station in county B where homeowner is booked in. Within the next couple of hours, suspect is transferred to county A where he is currently on probation. The following morning, suspect appears before the judge in county A for the charges brought about by the city of county B. The judge sets a bond for each charge.

Question:

If suspect is on probation, why is there a bond set? They obviously are aware of the revocation or else he wouldn't have been taken to that county, correct? Also, how does a city in an adjoining county have any jurisdiction to serve a search warrant on a home in another county? And, how is a judge of one county allowed to set bonds for charges incurred by another county?

The Occultist

Pretty much the only reason to not allow somebody a bond is due to some sort of danger (e.g. he'll harm somebody) or if there's a flight risk. My guess is the suspect isn't deemed to fit either of those categories, so there's no real reason to keep him locked up prior to his court date.

Thank you. I suppose I have been under the wrong impression when a revocation is involved. i thought that was an automatic "no bond".

I am still very confused about the jurisdiction questions. I realize, at least I think I do, that one department may be accompanied by another department, but this one has me baffled. Maybe I am putting more into it than is necessary. I have just never heard of the such.

seniorjudge

Q: If suspect is on probation, why is there a bond set? They obviously are aware of the revocation or else he wouldn't have been taken to that county, correct?

A: It's bail. A bond is one of several different ways to satisfy bail requirements. In any event, as earlier said, there may be reasons none of know about why the person was let out on bail. (There is nothing "automatic" in the law...thank God!)

Q: Also, how does a city in an adjoining county have any jurisdiction to serve a search warrant on a home in another county? And, how is a judge of one county allowed to set bonds for charges incurred by another county?

A: All this is very common. There are multi-jurisdictional task forces. And a judge is allowed to set bail for anyone arrested in his jurisdiction, regardless of where the charges arose.

Ok, so this all seems to be within the "norm" realm. I thank both of you very much for your help, although I am still slightly confused as to why one jurisdiction would even have cause to venture to a home in a county other than their own. But, I do not have all of the facts, which I know is pertinent.

Once again, thank you very much. ;)

seniorjudge

I thank both of you very much for your help, although I am still slightly confused as to why one jurisdiction would even have cause to venture to a home in a county other than their own.

This is very common. The cops in one jurisdiction find out about crime in another jurisdiction and the two jurisdictions hook up and get the bad guys. Stuff like that is on the news practically every day.

Okay. Once again, thank you. I suppose if I were one to watch the news, let alone t.v., I would have had the opportunity, or common sense, to bypass the confusion! lol Thank you.

outonbail

I am still slightly confused as to why one jurisdiction would even have cause to venture to a home in a county other than their own.
If one agency receives information and discovers a crime is being committed in another jurisdiction, they want to be in on the bust so they receive their fair share of any seized assets.

It's all a business venture fueled by greed. From the bad guys and all too often, the good guys as well,,,,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">