• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Ia
A friend of mine is here she wanted me to ask some questions.
Her daughter is 5. The father had his name added to birth certificate and the mother was not notified of the hearing for it until 2 weeks after it happened. The father just got off parole for manufacturing meth. She is afraid of letting him have unsupervised visitation as he visits friends of his all the time that are still into that type of scene. The attorney she has told her that she has to give him visitation even though she is afraid of this mess and the attorney doesn't want to do anything on her side of it. There has been no testing for proof of paternity and just wanted to find out some advice. She doesn't know what to do on this situation and legal aid services said they don't do anything for custody cases.
Just asking. If you need any info that I haven't thought of let me know and will ask her and report right back as soon as I can.

Whyte Noise

Senior Member
"The attorney she has told her that she has to give him visitation"

Only if there is a court order that says he's to have visitation. I don't see that mentioned in your post.


There hasn't been an order for it yet, but the attorney she has told her that if she didn't that she would not benefit at all and that they couldn't go forward with the case, I believe she is being bulldogged in a way.


First of all, I would have paternity established, go to the child support enforcement office and they should be able to help you out with that issue. I don't understand how the father would have his name added to bc if they were never married. I thought unless you go to court, if you aren't married, then mother has all the rights for child, etc. Also, take it from a mom who has had 3 attorneys in 8 yrs, if you feel or know the attorney isn't helpful, then drop them. Go with your guts on it, it'll save you time and money. Research them, in your situation cases and see how they have done in the past. Under the circumstances you've described, you should be able to get supervised visits, or have the child go to the dad's mother's or something like that, at least until you feel like or are sure that he's going to be responsible around the child, etc. I would be scared to let my 5 yr old go with his Dad under those circumstances also. But your attorney should be able to get something worked out. And, does he even have visitation order right now anyway?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential