• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confussed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JD O'Riley

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My wife just received a judgement against her for credit card debt. The card was in her name only and I am not on the account. Now we are being told that since she is not employeed they will take half of my property as well as garnishment of my wages. My wife and I have seperate bank accounts as well as file our taxes seperately. The IRS also has a lein against our home, all the contents inside and the property it sits on as well as our car.

My first question is; Can they garnish my salary if I work for a company located in Texas and am payed from Texas which is a state that does not have salary garnishment ??

My second question is; They have told us to respond with a Memo in Opposition within 8 days. Is this a standard form and what information do they wish us to include ?

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">