• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent Judgment for $0.00- what does that mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TamaraS

What is the name of your state?Georgia
In 2008 I agreed to a consent judgement for damages to a property my name was on. I made payments until December 2016. I believed I had paid my debt off. Yesterday I received a call stating the plaintiff says I did not pay the debt in full. I have had no contact, letters or inquiry on this matter for 2 years and 9 months from lawyer or home owner. This case was handled by a REMAX rental company and I have never been able to send the checks directly to home owner, it was always sent through lawyer's office. This all seemed strange. Also the Remax people sued me for damages that had been caused by a previous tenant which I had written on original agreement that I would get a deduction in rent for. While in court they only provided the renewed lease, not the original one. They were very shady but I was stuck and clueless what to do. Now I feel like they are trying to take advantage again and I would like to be more informed. I looked up my case and it says my consent judgment was entered and my judgement amount was $0.00. What does this mean? Also, is there a statute of limitations? Lastly, don't they need to notify me or contact me in some way if I am delinquent on a payment?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't know the specifics of how a "consent judgment" is handled in Georgia. Based upon what you've posted, I would guess that the "judgment" is entered as a kind of "place holder" that will allow the plaintiff to come back and reinstate the full agreed-upon amount if you fail to pay the agreed-upon amount.

The statute of limitations doesn't apply if the judgment has been properly renewed.

They don't need to notify you if you are delinquent on a payment. Alternatively, the fact that you received a call from the plaintiff is notification.

TamaraS

I don't know the specifics of how a "consent judgment" is handled in Georgia. Based upon what you've posted, I would guess that the "judgment" is entered as a kind of "place holder" that will allow the plaintiff to come back and reinstate the full agreed-upon amount if you fail to pay the agreed-upon amount.

The statute of limitations doesn't apply if the judgment has been properly renewed.

They don't need to notify you if you are delinquent on a payment. Alternatively, the fact that you received a call from the plaintiff is notification.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">