• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequence of working without Food Handlers Certificate in California more than a half year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anthony902010

When I got my first position as barista (never worked in catering before), I was asked to take a course to obtain a California Food Handler Card. But I didn't do that quickly and then totally forgot, my employer never reminded me about it after that. It's already passed nearly 8 month how I worked without certificate.
Recently I remembered about the fact that I do not have a certificate, began to read the laws and realized that I had to do it within the first 30 days after applying for a job. I don't know what to do now, I don't tell the boss. Get this certificate right now and keep quiet? Even if I got it now, when the inspection comes (if I'm not mistaken it should come every year, and this year we don't have it yet), they would saw a discrepancy in the documents - I was accepted 8 months ago, but worked without certificate for a long time. According to CALIFORNIA FOOD HANDLER LAW of 2011 "A violation may be punishable by a fine of up to $100 for each day of operation in violation." How bad is my case, what the repercussions might be and what is better to do now?

quincy

When I got my first position as barista (never worked in catering before), I was asked to take a course to obtain a California Food Handler Card. But I didn't do that quickly and then totally forgot, my employer never reminded me about it after that. It's already passed nearly 8 month how I worked without certificate.
Recently I remembered about the fact that I do not have a certificate, began to read the laws and realized that I had to do it within the first 30 days after applying for a job. I don't know what to do now, I don't tell the boss. Get this certificate right now and keep quiet? Even if I got it now, when the inspection comes (if I'm not mistaken it should come every year, and this year we don't have it yet), they would saw a discrepancy in the documents - I was accepted 8 months ago, but worked without certificate for a long time. According to CALIFORNIA FOOD HANDLER LAW of 2011 "A violation may be punishable by a fine of up to $100 for each day of operation in violation." How bad is my case, what the repercussions might be and what is better to do now?
I suggest you get your certificate now.

Anthony902010

I suggest you get your certificate now.
First of all, thank you for you reply!
Can you tell me more concrete please, will there be a fine for the company or me if the inspection find out that I worked without a certificate for such a long time, even if I already would have it, but with such a long delay? Maybe it is safer to leave company while they don’t know that I broke 30 days deadline by more than half year?

quincy

First of all, thank you for you reply!
Can you tell me more concrete please, will there be a fine for the company or me if the inspection find out that I worked without a certificate for such a long time, even if I already would have it, but with such a long delay? Maybe it is safer to leave company while they don’t know that I broke 30 days deadline by more than half year?
Leaving your job is certainly one way to avoid possible detection and keep your employer from being fined. But you could also try to get your card before a health inspection.

Here is a link to the California Restaurant Association's information on the Food Handler Card and the law and exemptions to the law:
https://www.calrest.org/food-safety/california-food-handler-card

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">