• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Constant Power Outages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSteed

New Jersey

Last year I lost electric service to my home 15 times. I spoke to the electric company about it and they just explained the obvious facts that there are trees growing along the power line to my home and the limbs sometimes fall onto the wires disconnecting them. They offer to trim the trees, but it has a short term effect before the limbs grow back, fall off in the wind and I loose power again. Earlier in the year, a power outage on the coldest night of the year caused us to have no heat. My personal generator also failed and it took the power company several days to repair the power lines. When power was restored it caused over $4000 damage due to frozen pipes that burst, flood damage caused by the water, motor damage to my heating system, food spoilage, and the costs of repairs. I spoke to and wrote to the electric company to see if they would pay for the costs of repair but they claim they are not responsible for "acts of nature" that cause loss of electric service. This has been going on for over 15 years now and I am fed up with it! The company refuses to re-route the power lines away from trees and their answer to remedy the problem is to trim the trees back, but they never do an adequate job. Several times in the early past we had lost power over 50 times! When we lost power on Thanksgiving Day last year, which was a cold and windy day, we had our fill of the problem and I filed a law suit. Does anyone have any suggestions on tips to win this case? Thank you!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please "reply" to this thread with additional information. There is no need to create a new thread.

PayrollHRGuy

The electric company is correct. They have no liability in such a situation. You should have homeowner's insurance.
Did you actually find a lawyer to take the case?

LdiJ

New Jersey

Last year I lost electric service to my home 15 times. I spoke to the electric company about it and they just explained the obvious facts that there are trees growing along the power line to my home and the limbs sometimes fall onto the wires disconnecting them. They offer to trim the trees, but it has a short term effect before the limbs grow back, fall off in the wind and I loose power again. Earlier in the year, a power outage on the coldest night of the year caused us to have no heat. My personal generator also failed and it took the power company several days to repair the power lines. When power was restored it caused over $4000 damage due to frozen pipes that burst, flood damage caused by the water, motor damage to my heating system, food spoilage, and the costs of repairs. I spoke to and wrote to the electric company to see if they would pay for the costs of repair but they claim they are not responsible for "acts of nature" that cause loss of electric service. This has been going on for over 15 years now and I am fed up with it! The company refuses to re-route the power lines away from trees and their answer to remedy the problem is to trim the trees back, but they never do an adequate job. Several times in the early past we had lost power over 50 times! When we lost power on Thanksgiving Day last year, which was a cold and windy day, we had our fill of the problem and I filed a law suit. Does anyone have any suggestions on tips to win this case? Thank you!
Trim back the trees annually. That is how its handled at my house.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not that it matters for the almost certainty that the power company isn't going to be responsible...
But I think the branches that fall on the lines are not from the OP's trees - they are other trees along the lines that lead to the OP's property.

izzie02

Maybe your states public utilities commission can put pressure on the utility to step up more aggressive trimming and cutting down of trees. I know in my state they have, in the past 10 years been very aggressively taking out trees along power lines. I lost a large one myself and was told to not plant anything that got too large or it would be removed when/if it got too large. I replaced with a tree that only will reach 20'.
I doubt you could get compensation for your damages but at least it could stop from being ba problem in the future.
Also, talk to someone in your county/city about the problems.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm in Joisey. If your trees are close to power lines, call a tree company. Trim them or cut them down (my township, however, requires (a) a permit to remove trees and (b) often requires you to replace the trees removed. If the trees are on town or county property, call the town or county.

Get homeowners insurance that will cover damages caused by power loss out of your control.

Buy a better generator.

JohnSteed

Thanks for all the replies! Most of the replies agree with the power company....

I should have also added that I have contacted the BPU and they said there was nothing they could do. I contacted my county's legislature and as a result they came up with a new bill that puts more responsibility on the utility company to be more proactive. Also, regarding my particular circumstances, the power lines run through a county park and I am not allowed to trim them. The electric company is allowed as they have an easement. The power company had also committed to doing various things that they didn't do, such as put a bumper-breaker in line with my electric service in the heavily wood areas, so that if a tree limb hit it, the power would only go out momentarily. They also committed to raising the lines to a height above the tree line, replacing a rotted pole, and most importantly, relocating the path of my electric service to a less densely wooded area, out of the way of trees. I am not using a lawyer for this. I believe the power company is not fulfilling their obligation to maintain the power lines properly. Thanks again!

I would like some suggestions on my best shot to win this case, please! I know that there are circumstances where nature does damages, like Hurricane Sandy for instance. However every time the wind blows I am greatly at risk of loosing power. What is my best recourse in court?

Thanks again!

quincy

It is my understanding that New Jersey approved last year $97 million in utility assistance to help upgrade the electric systems and to help reduce the number of outages caused by storms.

I agree with stealth that you are probably best served by getting a new generator and lowering your insurance deductible to make it worthwhile to report losses caused by extended outages.

My area of Michigan has had utilities laying lines underground to reduce the number of power outages caused by tree limbs falling on overhead lines. The underground lines have led to other problems, however, including an increase in time required for repairs.

quincy

Have you contacted the County Public Works department?

Sorry for the ha ha, quincy. NJ is a tough nut.
It is a pretty day in New Jersey today, though. The 67 degrees sounds downright balmy compared to the rainy-sleety day we have here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It is a pretty day in New Jersey today, though. The 67 degrees sounds downright balmy compared to the rainy-sleety day we have here.
It is. I have heat off, windows open & the attic fan on. One cat sitting in the window watching the yard cats, and the dogs wandering in & out (well, one - the other prefers to snore).

Now... what's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">