• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Constant Power Outages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSteed

Did you learn WHY the power went off again ? was it a car/ truck that hit a pole ? did a snownado rip up trees in the area and throw them into the lines breaking them ? Honestly I cant think of a single thing you can say to a judge that would gain you any sympathy because A judge is likely to ask you what steps you took to reduce the damage that could happen from your refusal to drain plumbing . I personally have never heard of any utility promising un interrupted services to its customers , if your city water mains that your house connected to broke out under the street (not the line to your home ) , yes the city has to fix it , No they don't owe you any special compensation because of it. if the natural gas lines under the streets erupt /break and your neighborhood has no natural gas to run every ones boilers or furnaces does your natural gas co the customers who went with out service any special compensation due to freeze up from gas customer who refused to go beg / borrow portable electric heaters from friends /family , or refused to go buy portable electric heaters? As mad as you are , you are free to try to sue the electric company , but I think you will be more mad when your claim is denied ( reconsider suing and instead use the money to help with down payment on a generator system that comes on automatically when the power goes off and look at ones that are fueled by propane tank on your property since you wouldn't have to worry about natural gas being disrupted too. Best of wishes to you no matter what path you follow in regard to this problem.
FarmerJ,

The power went out due to wind blowing. That is it! No storm. No snow. No car/truck hit. Mere wind. And, it was a mild, windy day. That is all it takes to disrupt electric power service to my home. Simple wind. I have a lot of answers for the judge. I will tell him that we have a fireplace as a backup heating source. However, the limited wood source became depleted over the course of the storm, due to the long outage. As I mentioned earlier, I do have a generator which was working fine when I last checked it in the warm autumn days prior to this cold winter spell. The generator failed. Thank you for your well wishes. I am going to court. The electric company that serves my home is sub-par and the legislator I spoke with told me he receives many complaints about them. Maybe by taking them to court I will elicit change in the way they treat me. I am sure they will not want me to repeat my action of taking them to court over and over again every time I have an outage. Suppose you were in my shoes and you tried everything you suggested to me to do and things were not working out well for you. Suppose you also took the electric company to court. What would you say to the judge? I would be very interested in knowing this. How would you try to win to get the power company to pay? Thanks again.

JohnSteed

Sir, with all due respect with your being a "senior member", your "free advice" sucks! You have been of absolutely no help to me whatsoever. Yes, you have beaten a dead horse with your comments, so kindly move on. Furthermore, if you had the poster Legal Eagle removed for giving good advice I really wonder what the value of this forum really is? I can see that there are not many posters in any of other categories and I had my reservations about posting anything here in the first place. LE gave me good, sound advice that I could use and the poster was helpful. Your badgering me with BS about how worthless my cause is is no help at all. So, please kindly move on. Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sir, with all due respect with your being a "senior member", your "free advice" sucks! You have been of absolutely no help to me whatsoever. Yes, you have beaten a dead horse with your comments, so kindly move on. Furthermore, if you had the poster Legal Eagle removed for giving good advice I really wonder what the value of this forum really is? I can see that there are not many posters in any of other categories and I had my reservations about posting anything here in the first place. LE gave me good, sound advice that I could use and the poster was helpful. Your badgering me with BS about how worthless my cause is is no help at all. So, please kindly move on. Thank you!
I'm sorry that you haven't received the help you had hoped to receive. Unfortunately, sometimes posters such as yourself are unwilling to "hear" anything that doesn't align with their own view of the validity of their position.

I have recommended that this thread be locked, as further posting seems futile.

quincy

I will note that, over this part w/e, it was in the 60s in NJ. I had heat off, windows open...
JohnSteed, you might want to prepare for more outages in your area if the power company starts addressing your concerns and starts working on replacing poles, the lines and trimming back trees. I recommend you get a new generator.

As to Eagle’s post: It was not reported for its general content but rather because he claims to be a lawyer. On this forum, if someone wants to say they are a lawyer, they must first have their credentials verified by the administrators of the site. This is to protect visitors to this site from imposters.

There is really little else to say to you that has not already been said - hence the “beating horse” image. You have filed suit against the utility. I don’t see success with your suit but ...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Telling you that you are wrong when you are wrong is not bad advice.

Telling you that you are supposed to mitigate your damages, and failure to do so will not be rewarded is not bad legal advice. (That your generator failed is on you, due to poor maintenance.)

Telling you what you want to hear is not necessarily "sound" or "useful" legal advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">