• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumer Laws Regarding Car Repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jc96

My story is quite lengthly. I've filed a complaint with the BBB and the Texas Attorney General's Office regarding an auto repair facility. The repair facility was supposed to put a new thermostat in my car. After receiving an initial estimate of $39.98 + parts, I verbally gave approval to go ahead with repairs. This was after I had been told that no coolant leaks were seen overnight. Four hours after approving the thermostat replacement, the mechanic called me and told me he had found a leak in my water pump and lower radiator hose. I asked him if he had done the thermostat yet and he said no. I told the manager earlier in the day that I needed my car by 5:00 and found it very disturbing that at 3:15 I receive a call and nothing had been done to my car. I feel they waited until I would be pressured into verbally agreeing to repairs that weren't needed. I told the manager that I only want the thermostat replaced as I already instructed them to do in our conversation earlier in the day and that I'd have my mechanic look at the water pump and hose. The manager then told me that he wouldn't do a partial repair. I had to have the entire job done or they wouldn't do anything at all. My car had just been to my regular mechanic the same day I took my car to the other repair shop. I had an alignment done and the belt/hoses checked as regular maintenance. The hoses were all fine. That's another reason why I doubted the shop I wasn't familiar with. How could my hose suddenly spring a leak? My repair bill reflects two different charges for thermostat labor. One is $39.98 which I was originally quoted and the other says $79.96.
They forgot to delete the original quote for the labor. When I questioned them, of course there was no reasonable explanation. The repair bill also stated that I needed an alignment. I had an alignment literally hours before it arrived at their shop and have the receipt to prove it. They made more recommendations for repairs that weren't needed. There are a lot more issues, but I know time is limited.

I've tried to research Consumer Law on the internet, but cannot understand most of it.
I have filed a complaint with the BBB and Texas Att. Gen. office. The repair shop sent a response to the BBB that contained false statements and avoided issues. That made me very angry! However, when they rec'd the Att. Gen. letter, they contacted me and offered me half of the $730 I'm asking for. The $730 includes everything except for the thermostat parts and labor.

It has been brought to my attention that this repair facility has been written up in the paper a few times in the last few months.
I have obtained copies of the articles and it seems as though they're still scamming people. The newspaper took their car in (undercover) and they too were told repairs
needed to be done when in fact they didn't.

I want this business to learn a lesson. If I accept their offer, then I feel like I'm backing down from what is right. I've already spent a lot of time typing my statement (7 pages) for the Attorney General's Office and making various phone calls. The only thing I've rec'd from BBB is a copy of the repair shop's letter contained false statements and not addressing all of my complaints. If I don't send the BBB my response in 10 days (whether I'll settle for half the amount I requested), they said my file would be closed. Oh boy, what good did it do to go to them in the first place?

I would like to avoid spending any money on an attorney unless I know I would win ALL of what I'm asking to be reimbursed for. Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">