• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

consumer protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PitPen

My nephew purchased a ring for his girlfriend as a surprise. He mentioned to her where he purchased it and she was able to go to the store and pick it up without his knowledge, without the receipt, and without her own identification. A friend she was with presented her identification and they were both allowed to leave the store with the ring.He is not upset with her and does not want her to face any trouble of any kind but does want the store to own up to what it has done. Is there any way to receive compensation for the distress that this has caused my nephew. Or is this a matter that would just have to be brought to the manager of the store's attention. This occured in the state of Illinois at a well known department store. Thank You

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PitPen:
My nephew purchased a ring for his girlfriend as a surprise. He mentioned to her where he purchased it and she was able to go to the store and pick it up without his knowledge, without the receipt, and without her own identification. A friend she was with presented her identification and they were both allowed to leave the store with the ring.He is not upset with her and does not want her to face any trouble of any kind but does want the store to own up to what it has done. Is there any way to receive compensation for the distress that this has caused my nephew. Or is this a matter that would just have to be brought to the manager of the store's attention. This occured in the state of Illinois at a well known department store. Thank You<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Well, the store made a mistake as a matter of "policy" - i.e., to never release merchandise to anyone without a receipt and/or proper identification. This is especially true for expensive items, such as a ring. I realize that your nephew had his own certain way of wanting to present the ring to his girlfriend, but the store was not "privy" to any such plans. I can see no law broken or liability on the part of the store, especially since the girlfriend got the ring anyway - - just not in the way your nephew had envisioned it. Your nephew, therefore, is not entitled to any form of compensation, under any theory that I can imagine. However, I would have a "little discussion" with that "impetuous" girlfriend, who showed a lack of caring for, and utter childishness toward, the feelings of your nephew. Also, your nephew's "Freudian need to talk" set the wheels in motion in the first place.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited March 16, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">