• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contacting persons not related to debtor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caspi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My husband has a car loan with Chrysler Financial. It is in his name only. He is currently running 30 days behind, however he makes a payment every month. Of course, they call and are so arrogant when we speak with them that we have decided it's best not to speak with them and continue to make the monthly payment (alebit a month behind).

Here's the issue -- they contacted MY elderly father who lives in NY (we live in VA) and left a message on his answering machine that said they were from Chrysler Financial and were trying to get in touch with (insert husband's name here). Of course, my last name is different than my father's now and my name isn't even on the loan. I was livid and called them and told them NOT to contact him anymore as my name is not on this loan.

Question - is this legal?? Are they allowed to contact people that are not related to the person in debt?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

~CAS

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My husband has a car loan with Chrysler Financial. It is in his name only. He is currently running 30 days behind, however he makes a payment every month. Of course, they call and are so arrogant when we speak with them that we have decided it's best not to speak with them and continue to make the monthly payment (alebit a month behind).

Here's the issue -- they contacted MY elderly father who lives in NY (we live in VA) and left a message on his answering machine that said they were from Chrysler Financial and were trying to get in touch with (insert husband's name here). Of course, my last name is different than my father's now and my name isn't even on the loan. I was livid and called them and told them NOT to contact him anymore as my name is not on this loan.

Question - is this legal?? Are they allowed to contact people that are not related to the person in debt?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

~CAS
Yes it is legal.

racer72

1. There is a very easy way to stop this problem.
2. Your husband and father are related. You are the common denominator.

caspi

1. There is a very easy way to stop this problem.
2. Your husband and father are related. You are the common denominator.
May I ask what the "easy way to stop this problem" is?? I'm confused because believe me, if we COULD get them caught up we would! As I said we make a payment every month, but we're a month behind.

We are willing to talk to them and discuss what is going on, but they are like robots and all they want to know is when the payment will be made and do nothing but make threatening statements to us.

But in any event, thank you for the answer to my original question - I guess since my father is my husband's FIL, they are allowed to contact him.

~CAS

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
\Of course, they call and are so arrogant when we speak with them that we have decided it's best not to speak with them and continue to make the monthly payment (alebit a month behind).
How DARE they! I mean, c'mon - why should they want their money, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
And, the reason your dad's getting called is because your hubby won't talk to them! :rolleyes:

caspi

How DARE they! I mean, c'mon - why should they want their money, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
And, the reason your dad's getting called is because your hubby won't talk to them! :rolleyes:
The reason my husband won't talk to them is because, if you read my post, they didn't want to talk - they just wanted their payment - TODAY. It didn't matter what else he said to them - they didn't care. They just wanted their payment. I can see if we were months in arrears, but as I have said repeatedly we are a month behind and can't seem to get it caught up. We make a payment to them each and every month.

I am sorry that I wasted all of your time. I was under the impression that this forum was here to help, not judge. I am assuming by the responses to my post that none of you have ever been the awful position of being late on a payment and have ever had to deal with the rudeness that we have dealt with. I guess until you have, you won't understand**************

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">