• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
Just wondering what to expect in the hearing. The Attorney General, I'm assuming got angry at my ex for not paying arrears. I hate to say "only" because it's a lot to me, but definitely "only" in comparison with most other people--the arrears is $700.00. They sent him an order of witholding wages order to add $100 per month until paid off. He then only sent in the usual amount w/out the $100. He is self-employed.

When I was trying to get some help from him to take over paying for the health insurance last May and having a CS review in the AG's office, also trying to get the arrears then too, I just decided to drop it because he said he would have no problem getting the cs lowered because he wasn't making any money in his business. So I just left well enough alone.

What I'm worried about is that in the motion to enforce, they are also asking for an increase in child support. This is what their email to me said:

"The OAG has filed the motion to enforce and modify the order. The case will go before the judge and we'll let the judge explain to Mr. XXX that he is to pay the arrears. Plus, we are asking that the judge increase he current child support as his income will allow same. You don't need to worry about it, just show up for the hearing."

I am worried, and am confident, that he will come in with his "proof" that he hasn't made any money and will be allowed to lower it. I don't really want to get into a discussion about his income on the forum or how he proves it, etc.
my question is really this. Does anyone have an opinion as to why the AG's office would state in their email that "his income will allow same" How would they know that or think they know that? I know it can't be from any income tax returns showing anything. AND, do you think that a judge will listen to the opinions of the AG's office stronger than a CP coming in for an increase?

1 more--I was served with papers as an interested party and they said "don't worry about it" but does anyone know if I will have any role whatsoever in the process or will I just be sitting there? I have sent them copies of his owing his 1/2 of unpaid medical. If they don't bring it up, I am wondering if I would have the chance. Like I said, I was happy to leave well enough alone and hope they haven't opened up a can of worms. I was very surprised they acted so quickly.
THANKS!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">