• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Court Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dianellen

What is the name of your state? Texas
If a warrant is issued for Contempt of Court in a New York court for non payment of alimony (no kids, no CS) and you live in Texas what will happen? Will they come all the way to Texas to arrest you and take you to NY? We have hired a lawyer in NY and are trying to get the alimony terminated. Are we safe if we stay out of New York? He owns nothing, no car, no home, no bank accounts, no job, so they can't attach anything and we are not married. He lives with me and I support us.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dianellen said:
Are we safe if we stay out of New York? He owns nothing, no car, no home, no bank accounts, no job, so they can't attach anything and we are not married. He lives with me and I support us.
My response:

You are safe. He's not. If nothing else, he does have his "freedom" - - for the moment. However, he will eventually be apprehended and be jailed on the warrant and contempt of court charges. He can run, but he can't hide.

IAAL

stephenk

Boy, he sounds like a real winner lady!

I hope he does housework, laundry and cooking because he doesnt seem to do much of anything else.

Why buy the cow when the milk is free.

D

dianellen

To IAAL

So from what you say they will arrest him in Texas for a Contempt charge in New York? Then what...ship him to NY? How many times can you go to jail for non payment of alimony? Does it matter if you have no money to pay it with?

M

michael parks

Think of it this way Ken Lay of ENRON if he filed for bankruptcy, can keep his 7 MILLION dollar condo, in texas and screw the enron employees....

nice deal.......its the law but is it right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">