• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Back in August I had an assault charge against me and was ordered to attend anger management class's and to pay a fine and to set up child support for my 2 children. I moved to another state a few days after the court date ( to work) and have only been home 2 times for 2 days each time to visit with my children. I work 7days a week 10 hours a day so I am very limited as to free time. I was not given a specific period of time to meet the orders and I recieved a court date for contempt of court. I am still out of state and to attend this court hearing would be a real imposition for me and a strain on my job to fly home ( a 700.00) expense not to mention loss of wages for three days @ 250.00 per day to do this when I am of no threat to my spouse in this state. I have had no former charges for this offense or any other against me and I feel that this is unreasonable. Is there anything that I can do to have this court date dropped or moved to a more acceptable time? Do I need an attorney for this purpose. How would I go about doing this myself or an appointee? Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential