• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt Of Court!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AWILCZ

Illinois here.....ok contempt question...per divorce decree ex is responsible fore health ins, half of dent,med, vis and ortho bills.....he refused to get a job and i found out last year only after daughter very ill and told him to take to doc that our 3 kids were without health insurance---he of course did not tell me within 30 days(they were without for 2 yrs, that i found out in deposition) for me to add them to my health insurance---soooo i finally was able to add them to mine after them going all winter without it once i found out....soooo ive been having their health insurance deducted from my paycheck which works out to about $37 a week and i have accrued 1200.00 in bills since sept for vision, dental and doc for the kids---he has not nor will not give me a dime...i do not take child support, i did not want child support but all i expected was for him to pay his share to support them health wise....he is in contempt...how do i go about handling this and making him pay me??
any advise would be helpful

AWILCZ

i understand that but i dont want to take his money for support(he will then whine to the kids that he doesnt have money to take them to the show-which he does weekly, etc etc) cuz he has to pay mom.....well i dont have the money to take them to the show cuz he owes me about 2400.00....how does contempt work?

AWILCZ

one more thing...he is working now..he did start his own business in march and made 25k in 4 months, that failed now he has a regular grind midnite job im guessing making about 12-15 an hour...more than enough to pay his share weekly for the insurance and if he would keep up with the bills(ive sent copies every time) as they come in it wouldnt be so much but he wont pay me

B

betterthanher

AWILCZ said:
i understand that but i dont want to take his money for support(he will then whine to the kids that he doesnt have money to take them to the show-which he does weekly, etc etc) cuz he has to pay mom.....well i dont have the money to take them to the show cuz he owes me about 2400.00....how does contempt work?
You should be filing for a show cause for contempt in court. Attach a copy of your divorce decree re: payment of medical, ortho, etc and also a copy of all of his unpaid portion of the bills.
You should be able to call the clerk of courts' office and ask them what you need to file. Keep in mind, they can NOT give you legal advice. It will probably cost you to file, but make sure you request that your ex pay those fees and court costs as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">