• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt Subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Background: I was ordered by a supreme court judge to pay a debt (originally a home equity loan) directly to my ex-wife that was originally being paid to a bank. I have been paying it for nearly 4 years but since things have become tight, I tried asking her if I could pay lower payments because I have unexpected expenses and higher costs do to the rising prices in many areas. She didn;t want to hear anything of it so I stopped paying. She then contacted an attorney to collect the $1400 left on the loan.

I received the subpoena to appear and do not have the money for an attorney and I wa just planning on telling the judge my financial situation. Can I show to supreme court without an attorney? I can give more details if needed.



There is this funny little document called the US Constitution that grants you the right to represent yourself in Court....most folk that understand lingo round here call it Pro Se or Pro Per

Now if you are risking jail time and you can not afford one, a lawyer can be appointed to you.

You might also want to make sure you are going to the right Court house...i don't know your case, but I highly doubt your going to Supreme Court

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential